When can my chicks go into the outside coop?

Jazzy_girl

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
I have a flock of 5 outside in the coop and run. One being a rooster. My daughter bought me two barred rock chickens. They are at least 5 weeks old now. When can I put them out in the big coop? Also, will they be ok with the other chickens? What if one is a rooster? Will they be ok together?

Please do not put them with the other chickens until they are adult size as that is a recipe for the death of the chicks. (Old hens hate the young ones and will eat them!) They need their little area and a dog house with a closable door until they are older. Also, be careful about snakes. I put a mother hen and her 1 month and 9-day-old chick outside to live, and one night when the chick was still small, a King snake came up and killed BOTH of them. I came out they were both dead. So sad.

If one is a rooster, as long as he is within sight of your adult rooster at all times until he moves with the flock into their coop, they should get along fine, as we have used this method.

GOOD LUCK! I wish the best for you.

Please do not put them with the other chickens until they are adult size as that is a recipe for the death of the chicks. (Old hens hate the young ones and will eat them!) They need their little area and a dog house with a closable door until they are older. Also, be careful about snakes. I put a mother hen and her 1 month and 9-day-old chick outside to live, and one night when the chick was still small, a King snake came up and killed BOTH of them. I came out they were both dead. So sad.
That is not always true. If it were, then chicks would never survive being raised by a broody hen in a flock. She weans her chicks well before they are adult size.

Chicks need a way to escape aggressive adults, yes, but most birds will relent from picking as soon as the chicks learn their place.
If one is a rooster, as long as he is within sight of your adult rooster at all times until he moves with the flock into their coop, they should get along fine, as we have used this method.
This also is not always true. I have had dozens of roosters. Some tolerate other males being introduced into the flock, some only tolerate them if they were raised in the flock, and some do not tolerate other males at all, even if they have no females avaliable to fight for.
GOOD LUCK! I wish the best for you.

I have a flock of 5 outside in the coop and run. One being a rooster. My daughter bought me two barred rock chickens. They are at least 5 weeks old now. When can I put them out in the big coop? Also, will they be ok with the other chickens? What if one is a rooster? Will they be ok together?
Do a see, no touch method for a few days at least before introducing them all. How old are your current birds? How big is the space they all will be contained in? What's the weather like where you're located? How feathered are the 5 week olds?

You need to do see but no touch where chicks are in sight of the adults but with the safety of a fence in between the groups for 1-2 weeks to start integration. If you have not already started setting up for it, do so now.

I do a very early integration (they're done at around 4 weeks): https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ - not all the info on there is relevant to you, but this should give you an idea of how to set up for see but don't touch, the usage of chick only safe spaces, as well as cluttering the run once the chicks are mixing with adults.

You need to do see but no touch where chicks are in sight of the adults but with the safety of a fence in between the groups for 1-2 weeks to start integration. If you have not already started setting up for it, do so now.

I do a very early integration (they're done at around 4 weeks): https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ - not all the info on there is relevant to you, but this should give you an idea of how to set up for see but don't touch, the usage of chick only safe spaces, as well as cluttering the run once the chicks are mixing with adults.
Oy vey am I late. Hubby put one brood out last evening. But from reading this the second surely are old and large enough. I know this brooding in spare bedroom needs to come to an end. Last set of doing so for me. I have informed hubby :D .

Back
Top Bottom