When can the chicks inside eggs hear / make sounds?

CluckEmUp

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2024
Couldn't find a clear answer so far, eggs due to hatch sometime next week... curious about the developing time and when they are able to hear and make sounds themselves? Is this close to hatching time (last 3 days) or even earlier?

In nature the hen "talks" to the chicks and this will assist them in when it's time to hatch, just wondering if there's some importance with sounds when you're incubating eggs. Like if it's near hatching time, should I load up a youtube video titled "hen sounds" on a loop near the eggs? :D

Couldn't find a clear answer so far, eggs due to hatch sometime next week... curious about the developing time and when they are able to hear and make sounds themselves? Is this close to hatching time (last 3 days) or even earlier?
I believe they can hear within the last five days
In nature the hen "talks" to the chicks and this will assist them in when it's time to hatch, just wondering if there's some importance with sounds when you're incubating eggs. Like if it's near hatching time, should I load up a youtube video titled "hen sounds" on a loop near the eggs? :D
It’s not necessary to do that, since they will hatch anyway, but the hen does it on the last three days. The chicks will start peeping to see how many siblings they will have and that will be enough for them to hatch, but if you want to you can just sit over there and talk to them for a few minutes each day. They just like knowing someone is waiting for them.

Back
Top Bottom