May 24, 2020
Warrensburg, MO
My Coop
My Coop
When did your bantam cochins start laying? Mine is 13 weeks old with bright red comb and wattles, and she squats when I put my hand over her back. I wasn't expecting eggs anytime soon because I've heard that cochins take a long time to mature, but she appears to be ready to lay. Is it possible for her to begin laying this early? Or do these signs happen months before they lay? What are your experiences? Did yours start laying before 20 weeks? Sorry about all of the questions, I'm fairly new to chicken keeping and google hasn't been to helpful for these questions. :)

Are you sure that's a pullet? Most don't start until 5-7 months of age. Can you share a picture?

When did your bantam cochins start laying? Mine is 13 weeks old with bright red comb and wattles, and she squats when I put my hand over her back. I wasn't expecting eggs anytime soon because I've heard that cochins take a long time to mature, but she appears to be ready to lay. Is it possible for her to begin laying this early? Or do these signs happen months before they lay? What are your experiences? Did yours start laying before 20 weeks? Sorry about all of the questions, I'm fairly new to chicken keeping and google hasn't been to helpful for these questions. :)
My bantam cochins didn't start laying until about 7 months of age. They hatched in mid May and began laying at the end of December

Back
Top Bottom