When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

7 of my 9 Buff Orpingtons are laying now and they are 23 weeks. First one started at just over 20 weeks.

smile.png

33744_dsc04631.jpg

Last edited:
I raise only Buff Orpingtons.

IME I have had them lay from 20-23 weeks. My current flock, two girls started at 20 weeks exactly, and 3 are not laying yet at 22 weeks.

I've never had them start later than 23 weeks though.

Right from the start they are always beautiful strong brown eggs, and always consistant once they start. (Not starting/stopping as some other breeds.)

Look for bright red combs and wattles. This is a sure sign POL is imminate.

It is so hard waiting for that first egg! And it never ceases to be sooooooooooo exciting when it happens!
wee.gif

Ma

Just posted this in another thread.

Mine started laying at 23, 26 and 27 weeks. I have one (28 weeks tomorrow) who still hasn't started yet.

All my eggs from the start have been perfect. The first ones (from the youngest hen) were on the smallish side, but have gotten progressively bigger. The second girl layed "medium" eggs right from the start. The third girl's eggs appear to be a little larger than my storebought "large" eggs. I expect the straggler to give me goose egg sized ones.
lol.png

Mine just started laying the day before yesterday, and they were hatched on April 25. I have six hens and found three eggs the first day, so am assuming at least half of them have started to lay.

We have 5 buffs that are not laying at 22.5 weeks old. One of our black sex links (the same age)started a few days ago and we have a white leghorn that has laid 11 eggs in 12 days, she started around 20 weeks. The buffs still do not have the red comb or waddles yet. Hopefully something from them soon.
Don't worry, buffs seem to be late bloomers. Once they get going, you won't know what to do with all the eggs! I have 6 and I get 4 or 5 eggs a day. Mine didn't start laying until about 27 weeks

Back
Top Bottom