1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bufforp89, Sep 15, 2009.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I know buff orpingtons lay later than some other breeds of chickens. About how many weeks old are they before they lay?

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours started laying at about 28 weeks.

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I will be very interested in the answers...Ours are 27.5 weeks old and still aren't laying....

1 person likes this.
  4. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    [​IMG]

5. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Whenever they feel like it -- but after that, mine have been faithful, even laying occasionally when they are in moult.

6. lovetocook

lovetocook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Washington, NJ
    I have six that are 25 weeks old and three are laying and three are not. All hatched together & all are the friendliest birds you could ever ask for. I am patiently waiting [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    Now I Have To Mention That I Asked This Question Myself Becuase I Too Have Buff Orps. I Was Told About 20 Weeks. Should I Be Planning On Them Laying Later Than That Then?

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I have 7 buff comets. They are the least friendly of the four breeds I have. Others are BA. RIR, BR. (The Barred Rocks are the friendliest.) I was told by an experienced poultry raiser that I could expect the buff comets to lay before the others. He thought it would be 22 weeks at the earliest for them.

9. RlgNorth

RlgNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    North Pole, ALASKA
    I have 9 Buffs and only one is laying she was about 18-19 weeks when she started.But none of the others have even started the egg song or squat she was laying one every other day when she started but now she is laying one egg every day!!! YAY! just wish my others would start now, but have feeling it will still be a while.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  10. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I raise only Buff Orpingtons.

IME I have had them lay from 20-23 weeks. My current flock, two girls started at 20 weeks exactly, and 3 are not laying yet at 22 weeks.

I've never had them start later than 23 weeks though.

Right from the start they are always beautiful strong brown eggs, and always consistant once they start. (Not starting/stopping as some other breeds.)

Look for bright red combs and wattles. This is a sure sign POL is imminate.

It is so hard waiting for that first egg! And it never ceases to be sooooooooooo exciting when it happens! [​IMG]

Ma

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by