When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

Just posted this in another thread.

Mine started laying at 23, 26 and 27 weeks. I have one (28 weeks tomorrow) who still hasn't started yet.

All my eggs from the start have been perfect. The first ones (from the youngest hen) were on the smallish side, but have gotten progressively bigger. The second girl layed "medium" eggs right from the start. The third girl's eggs appear to be a little larger than my storebought "large" eggs. I expect the straggler to give me goose egg sized ones.
lol.png

Quote:
yours have much bigger combs and waddles than mine do --- the combs and waddles on my buff orpingtons are tiny compared to what i see on yours

i see mike does but.....
does anyone else have a roo with their hens? not to sound dumb but does that have anything to do with when they lay if we have a rooster?

my 5 buffs are 21 weeks and not laying that i know of.. my 2 rhode island reds are 22 weeks, and believe they are both laying now...One is for sure, I found another egg this morning by the one that was laying and then found another egg just like 5 minutes ago in a different spot. I think it was my other rhodie....

I hope i don't have to wait another month for my buffs to start.....

My BO's are not laying either. They were born in the spring, but I don't have the actual date. Maybe eggs are not far off. I didn't know they are later than other breeds. BYC has answers for everything!

I have 8 buff orps. Two started laying at exactly 20 weeks, another two a few days later. I got 5 eggs yesterday but most days just 4. I let them free range so I am currently in search of another possible nesting area in the yard as I think it's weird that only 4 out of 8 are laying.
roll.png

My Buff Orp was the last of my breeds to lay. RIR was first, Speckled sussex next. The orp lays the largest eggs, double yokes about 40% of the time. She started laying about 19 weeks iirc. She had a rooster with her, but he found a better home before he hit maturity (well actually the exact same day he crowed, he went to a cool farm).

We have three at about 24 weeks with none laying yet though just a couple of hours ago I heard one heck of a commotion out there. It sounded like something was getting killed and even the dogs got upset. When I went out to see what in the world was going on I saw two of the Buffs in the coop where all the sqawking was coming from.
Nothing yet but that blood curdling noise makes me think we may have at least one of them about ready.
wink.png

Also, these Buffs are not really all that approachable. While all the birds come running to see what treats we are bringing, the RIR's all want to be petted or picked up while the Buff will usually just run away if you reach for them. But, when I sit out there with then for a bit they will come up and jump up to roost a bit on a leg and then they will allow a petting.

The RIRs, on the other hand, are laying like clock work. Four of those girls and two to three eggs per day with our first full sized egg yesterday and two more again to day, along with one pullet sized egg.

Back
Top Bottom