When do chickens lay?

Prior to owning a Rooster, my hens would lay throughout the day and be done around 4pm. Once I got a Rooster, they started early in the morning and would be done around 10am. I'm think it might be because he starts crowing at 1am, will take a break around 2am until sunrise and then start up again. I think he gets the girls going in the morning.

Quote: I have a couple of not so quiet ones I would share!! LOL!
lau.gif

Our Silkie mix, Gracie, makes enough racket for a bird twice her size....I think she is so loud and long because she is broody so much she doesn't get to sing her egg song as often as the other hens, and the smallest of our 3 roos joins in when the hens start and wow can they make a racket!

For the folks not sure about letting them out to roam when they are getting near laying age... try placing 2 or 3 golf balls in a few of the nests to help them figure out where they should lay. I also place them in the 'unpopular' boxes so when the favorite boxes are occupied the hens are willing to move into another box.

Our hens lay morning through late afternoon, but we have a variety of breeds and mutts and varying ages.

Last edited:
Quote:
Our RIR rooster does the same thing. I worry about his mental health sometimes. It seems like he has to be the loudest thing going on at any one time. Doesn't matter if your cutting grass with the mower or just making normal everyday work noises, he has to be heard. I love chickens!!

Last edited:
I have 3 that have laid their eggs by the time I get out to them in the morning, if the snakes don't get them before I get there. They all use the same laying box. However, I have one that lays around 3pm everyday, just like clockwork. I have her isolated because the rooster has damaged her sides under her wings. This is how I started noticing what time she lays, because I am usually there with her when she does. Good Luck. Chickens are not hard to take care of but the predators make it a little more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom