When do chickens molt?

how do you know the difference between moulting and possible other issue like mites? one of my marans is missing feathers on her back by her tail. I do have a rooster, but I thought when a rooster "gets on" his ladies, it's the back of neck missing feathers. could she be getting pecked by the other hens or possibly the duck? it has warmed up in the past few days here, but past two days I have gotten 4 eggs from 4 hens! thanks all!

I also have a rooster that has lost his tale feathers and does not seem to be getting them back. His tale has turned beet red.

I think the molt lasts for few weeks? That's what I've read anyway...mine are going through one now and feathers haven't grown in yet, it's been about 2 weeks

I have dusted with sevin dust and given probiotis in their water. I'm wondering if their too crowded. I have 24 hens in a 15 X 15 flight pen with coop attached. I do let them out daily to forage. Thanks for your reply, maybe they start putting feathers on soon.

When one of my girls started molting there was no doubt-the yard looked like it had snowed in June, there were so many feathers on the ground! Also the feathers come out very easily by the handful.

How long would you wait to worry that they haven't molted? Most of my flock are between 14 and 16 months and I have not seen anyone molt...or stop laying. Maybe I'm being too impatient?

I only wonder because I have a hen with a pretty bare back (combination of naughty rooster who had to go and then sadly mites) Nothing is really been growing back and I've read that they may not until she molts...which isn't happening yet.
idunno.gif

How long would you wait to worry that they haven't molted?  Most of my flock are between 14 and 16 months and I have not seen anyone molt...or stop laying.  Maybe I'm being too impatient?

I only wonder because I have a hen with a pretty bare back (combination of naughty rooster who had to go and then sadly mites) Nothing is really been growing back and I've read that they may not until she molts...which isn't happening yet. :idunno
im pretty sure when feather loss caused by rooster or mites they won't fully grow feathers back until their next molt? I could be wrong but I've read that somewhere! Their next molt won't be until fall.

That's what I'm wondering. Should I be expecting them to molt soon? Her poor little butt is so naked and sad. She was hatched last May and I haven't seen any of my chickens molt yet. I must be being too impatient.
barnie.gif

how do you know the difference between moulting and possible other issue like mites? one of my marans is missing feathers on her back by her tail. I do have a rooster, but I thought when a rooster "gets on" his ladies, it's the back of neck missing feathers. could she be getting pecked by the other hens or possibly the duck? it has warmed up in the past few days here, but past two days I have gotten 4 eggs from 4 hens! thanks all!

That's rooster damage. The favorite (usually the most submissive hens) will be mated more frequently causing more wear on their backs by their tails. It will go away when they molt next.
How soon can I expect for my chicken's feathers to return after molting?
It depends on the hen and the severity of the molt. Usually a few weeks is good for getting their new feathers in. However, they will need to get their body weight back up after they get their new feathers, so you won't have eggs for quite a while longer. I have had some hens molt and get back to laying in a couple of months, and others take 4 months to start up again.

How long would you wait to worry that they haven't molted? Most of my flock are between 14 and 16 months and I have not seen anyone molt...or stop laying. Maybe I'm being too impatient?

I only wonder because I have a hen with a pretty bare back (combination of naughty rooster who had to go and then sadly mites) Nothing is really been growing back and I've read that they may not until she molts...which isn't happening yet.
idunno.gif
They will molt this fall. Shorter daylight hours will trigger their molt.

Back
Top Bottom