When do chickens molt?

10 days seems excessive even for culling. 24 hours would be plenty for processing. Not exactly sure why you would starve a chicken for 10 days for molting.

10 days seems excessive even for culling. 24 hours would be plenty for processing. Not exactly sure why you would starve a chicken for 10 days for molting.

Fasting for processing is just to withhold food the day you process. Do not withhold water.

Commercial industries will withhold feed to force a molt. I believe this is the 10 days that was mentioned. Not something I would do to my birds.

We've only had to process one mean ole rooster. We decided to let him free range for his last day, but we didn't have much trouble cleaning him. But then again we've never done others that were fasted so we can't compare. I could not make mine fast with only water for ten days it seems cruel in my opinion.

My girls are young, born in the first week of May. But one of them was sick recently, she is better now, but she is molting, very heavy, none of the rest are molting like her. I had heard they don't molt until about 18 months? Could this be because she was sick? Also, the others had full crops tonight and hers was much smaller. I don't think she is eating as much. She lost weight when she was sick and is still smaller. I see her eat, but it is lighter than the others. Is this normal or ok?

Depending on her sickness this could be normal. What are you feeding them? Your molting one would benefit from some extra protein. Scrambled eggs, meal worms, etc wouldn't hurt :) and I bet they'd enjoy the treat.

I give layer feed with game show feed mixed in, Boss and meal worms (dried) and I give her 3 live meal worms a day right now... Hopefully the extra protein will help her grow feathers faster, I'm in Minnesota and don't want her to freeze. I do not have heat in the coop. I may have to add some if she looses and more feathers.

Sounds like you're feeding her all the right stuff. You may want to consider some heat source unless you can find someone to knit a little sweater :) hehe

I give layer feed with game show feed mixed in, Boss and meal worms (dried) and I give her 3 live meal worms a day right now... Hopefully the extra protein will help her grow feathers faster, I'm in Minnesota and don't want her to freeze. I do not have heat in the coop. I may have to add some if she looses and more feathers.

She'll snuggle up to the others for warmth. She'll be fine.

And if they don't allow her to "snuggle up" then what happens?

There are many members in harsh winter environments, like Alaska and Canada that don't heat their coops. It can be worse for the chickens if you provide heat and the power goes out, as they are not acclimated to the cold. Chickens are very well suited to deal with cold, provided there are no drafts in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom