When do chickens "put themselves to bed"?

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
I have heard that chickens typically put themselves into their coop to roost each night. When do they do this? Is it usually before dark or after dark?

Thank you,
CJ

Mine all go "to bed" together at the same time EXCEPT for the silkie trio who perpetually wander around like they are lost and confused
roll.png
and stay out until it's nearly dark and my head hen who has decided she will do whatever she pleases whenever she pleases wherever she pleases and stays out until it's completely dark outside. EVERY night the head roo does a head count and realizes that she's missing and every night he flies down off the roost to find her and his second in command flies down and makes a show of assisting but doesn't actually do anything and head roo chases her around the yard and makes all sorts of moves trying to get her to be reasonable and just go in the coop! And every night she wildly evades him, the second roo just gives up and goes back to bed, and the head roo impatiently paces around waiting for her while making several more unsuccessful attempts and eventually trudging back into the coop without her
gig.gif
Every single night. I should sell tickets
big_smile.png

Mine go in at dusk. Try putting a light inside the coop... like one of those push on battery thingys They will follow the light. Some have suggested closing the girls in for a few days. I never had to do that... but they say it works Enjoy your
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
's

Quote:
Oh my gosh... so funny. I love rooster stories. I can't have one where I live and I don't know anything about them other than what I read about on these boards and I just get such a kick out of stories like these. Roosters, when they aren't mean just sound so interesting. I wish I could see the "rooster dance" that I've heard so much about on these boards. I've even searched "rooster dance" on youtube to see what everyone is talking about but didn't find anything like what people talk about on these boards.

Thanks for the cute story.
smile.png

Mine go to bed after the sun goes down but before dark. I have a few stragglers that like to take their time. I have to time going out to shut the door just right. If the stragglers see me and they are not "almost in" they come running over hoping for food or treats and it takes forever to convince them to go in. I throw scratch in the house before shutting the door so they help with the mixing of the deep litter. If it is too light or some haven't roosted yet, when I throw the scratch it causes a scene and chickens are squacking and jumping down so they don't miss their share. You can't win! Sometimes after a hard day in the yard I want a hot, soaky bath and don't want to wait until dark so I try to shut the door early. The girls seem to have other plans.

Back
Top Bottom