1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do I turn off the incubator???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k5crew, Feb 24, 2016.

1. k5crew

k5crew Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Kingsland, Texas
    Today is day 22 of our incubation. We have 5 eggs unhatched. These may have been fertilized but only 2 I could see positive signs of fertilization.

This is my first hatch so I am not sure how long to hold out hope for the remaining eggs. Please give me opinions, or flat out tell me what to do!!!

Thank you!!!

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    When did the others hatch? 24 hours after the last one hatched, I look for signs of life and usually turn off the incubator if there doesn't seem to be anything viable.

How are your air cells in those 5?

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    x2

4. k5crew

k5crew Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Kingsland, Texas
    Last one hatched at 2pm today. Not sure about the air cell. Do I pull out and candle? 2 of these eggs have shells that I haven't been able to tell anything on 3 previous candles. I will keep it up as long as I need to, but don't want to hold onto false hope.

Thank you for helping!

5. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Sometimes you can hold the egg up to your ear and hear them pecking the shells. You can try that. If you get to the point when you think that you are not going to get anything to hatch, then slowly start to open them from the top where the air cell is. Open it up just enough to look inside. If you see movement you can seal the shell back up with a piece of plastic wrap. Otherwise you can open it up to finish the eggtopsy and see what went wrong.

1 person likes this.
  6. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    I agree, give it at least 24 hours from the last one that hatched

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by