When do predators & pests start?

We got ours in March of last year. We planned on free ranging in our fenced backyard and built a small emergency run- that we used once- onto our coop "just in case". Our cat got into the brooder and killed one tiny baby. TOTALLY our fault. Same cat is around the big chickens all the time and get's his butt kicked by the biggest hen.

We lost 2 at different times in late September. Random and we didn't find a trace of them. We have no idea what got them.

Then in November, we got attacked by a pair of hawks.... they killed 3 more including our rooster and our lone silkie baby. Nothing for winter, but the 2 girls that we had left spent most of their time in the coop and the run. SO MUCH SNOW kept them close to home.

We got a new bunch of pullets this March. This time, the losses came quickly. What turned out to be a fox killed 3 in one day. He ate one in front of us and came back later and busted into our "emergency run" killing my 2 hens that survived the winter.
he.gif
This meant no eggs for us. Grrrrrr.

We build a huge run that's much safer. Now, chickens stay in there unless we are home to free range them. It's only been 4 months, but no more losses. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We've never lost one at night (always always always locked those girls up)- only broad day light losses for us.

It's hard- those ladies love their free time. But, I am DONE coming home and finding missing chickens or body parts.

Our first go around, it took 2 years for predators to discover we had chickens, which to me was amazing it took so long. They free ranged all the time except at night. The second time, it took 1 wk. We now have a predator proof run and our new chickens stay in there. I am a little afraid to let them free range, even when I'm home...not sure if they would go back in once they are out!

Back
Top Bottom