When do roos start to crow loudly?

45ishChickenMom

Chirping
May 8, 2015
My four chickens (3 EE and 1 RIR) are 7 weeks old. They were supposed to be all pullets, but recently one started to make strange noises (like baby crowing). I posted pictures, and folks in a different thread think she's a roo. Okay. I want to keep her/him, but I can't have the crowing in the neighborhood. I want to get a no-crow collar (did a lot of reading about it), but at what point do roos start crowing loudly? I'm sure I have a while yet, but I want to be prepared. Ideas? My daughters are rather attached to all the birds, so rehoming is the absolute last option (don't want him to end up in a Crock Pot either). Your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

It varies so much. I have a 16 week old Brahma cockerel (Brahmas do mature a bit later) and he has not crowed yet at all. I have seen video of chicks a few weeks old crowing. I too am going to try to keep my cockerel since I just adore him so my plan is that if he starts to crow too much or early or whatever I will leave him in the hen house till at least 9 to avoid bothering the neighbors. I have very tolerant neighbors so I am not too worried but want to be a good neighbor anyway. I too will be trying the collar if it gets to that point.

Good to know. Roosters are not allowed in my town, so I am hoping the collar works. If used properly, it should. I have one neighbor who might complain if it doesn't.... Grrrr.... Thanks, newmarch2014!

It really depends alot on bird and breed,, Fayoumis can start at 5-6 weeks,,, others like cochins and brahmas take a long time,, I have a new addition to my flock, A gorgeuos Black minorca and he started at 9 weeks and now at 10 weeks he is getting close to rivaling the older guys in the group.

Good to know. Roosters are not allowed in my town, so I am hoping the collar works. If used properly, it should. I have one neighbor who might complain if it doesn't.... Grrrr.... Thanks, newmarch2014!
Getting away with keeping him is one thing. How are you going to keep him? Do you have enough space to separate him from the hens? You only have 4 chickens total? That rooster is going to mature faster than the girls and start mating them before they are ready. At sexual maturity their mentality completely changes. He's going to aggressively submit them and they are going to be stressed, miserable and most likely injured. Even worse, he could become aggressive towards you and your family.

It's not that all roosters grow up this way, it's that you don't have a mature flock to teach him properly and growing up faster and bigger than the rest of the flock will make him a bully. With only 3 hens to bare the brunt of this maturing stage, it won't be pretty.

Eeek!!! I guess I'd better order a collar sooner than later, to be safe. Going with a size large. Thanks for the information!

Nupe, I just saw your post. What do you suggest? I want what is best for my small flock. Not sure I can separate him, and you are correct in it being a gamble to get away with trying to keep him. I do hate to give him up though. Thanks so much for your honesty.

When I started my flock, I got 16 hens and 2 roosters. By the time the girls started laying, my hens started missing feathers on their necks and backs. Their wing "elbows" were getting bloodied. The girls would just run from him when he tried dancing, so he started pouncing on them. And this was all from one rooster, he wouldn't allow the other to mate. I watched this for a few weeks hoping that they would work it out. During the time I saw the 2nd rooster demonstrating the behavior I was hoping for like sharing food, fluffing the nest boxes and warning when the local hawk came to visit. (Their pen is fully enclosed.) I just happened to be at the feedstore when a couple came in looking for a rooster to add to their mature flock of Jersey Giant hens. I thought, "Hmm, they'll teach him."
smack.gif
So I rehomed my dominant rooster in hopes my sweetie would continue his sweet behavior. Nope, no such luck. When #2 became #1, he changed completely. He started out more gentle but ended up mating even more aggressive than the first. He also decided that I was no longer welcomed in his harem and began attacking me. I'd bat him away with my litter rake and aggressively approach him until he backed away and broke eye contact. He'd be good for a few weeks until he thought my guard was down and he'd try again. 3 strikes and he was out. His 3rd attack just happened to be the day before I was processing some CXs and he became soup.

I've done a lot more research on the subject of roosters since this all started and I realized I did it the wrong way. I still want a flock master for my girls and the ability to self replenish the flock but for now, I'm going to allow them to mature a bit more and go through their first molt before considering another rooster. I added 4 more girls to the flock this spring. Next spring they'll be going on 2. I figure I'll probably pick 5 for freezer camp and raise 4 more girls and a roo together to add to the flock. By then I hope my mature ladies will figure out how to train him.

Long story short, I think a rooster in your small flock will turn out to be more heartache than joy. Whether or not you want a rooster, I would not suggest to keep this one. If you have no need for fertile eggs, there really is no point of getting another. If you really must have one, my best advice to you would be to allow your girls to mature for at least a year and then find them a 3 or 4 year old rooster. If you're not going to increase the number of hens in your flock, a small breed or even a bantam might be your best bet, though there is the chance your girls would pick on him.

Back
Top Bottom