When do roosters get mean?

Ok I looked for the other thread you talked about but it did not come up. I have a mean rooster. I bought 10 little chicks a few days old. They were all supposed to be pullets but I ended up with 4 roosters and 5 hens since one little chick died. The rooster that is the lowest in the pecking order and always picked on has started getting very mean toward us when we come outside. After letting them out of a morning he will run up behind us and peck us. These chickens were bought 4-18-14 so they are about 4 months old. I am also worried about my hens not laying eggs because they are so stressed about all the roosters. Any help will be appreciated.

That's WAY to many roosters for your hens. Even IF you managed to get them not to tear each other up, the would tear up your hens by over-mating them.
Select one that is both tolerant of you and shows the proper behavior to your hens. Get rid of the rest.

Ok I looked for the other thread you talked about but it did not come up. I have a mean rooster. I bought 10 little chicks a few days old. They were all supposed to be pullets but I ended up with 4 roosters and 5 hens since one little chick died. The rooster that is the lowest in the pecking order and always picked on has started getting very mean toward us when we come outside. After letting them out of a morning he will run up behind us and peck us. These chickens were bought 4-18-14 so they are about 4 months old. I am also worried about my hens not laying eggs because they are so stressed about all the roosters. Any help will be appreciated.
Get rid of the mean one and at least 2 of the others at a minimum. Or even get rid all of the males. Your pullets will be fine without one. Four cockerels for 5 pullets is just way too much testosterone and your whole flock will suffer for it.

Thank you all for the advice. I will get rid of 3 roosters. Now I have to choose which one! The top rooster is smaller and doesn't attack us. My 2 black beauties are very big but they mainly pick on my lowest guy roo roo. I know roo roo has to go since he is mean. So I will probably keep the small top knotted white one. Thank you all again for the advice. I appreciate it very much. It helps to have input to make these tough decisions. I only know which chickens are rode island reds....lol all the others are up in the air.....lol thanks again for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom