When do take chicks off chick starter

Basically, just keep them on Starter/Grower feed until about 5 months of age? I have 6 month and 1/2 old silkie bantams, so does that still apply even though they're smaller? I'm new to raising baby chicks and i don't want to mess them up.

10-12 weeks on the chick starter then you can switch them to flock raiser until they start laying. Once they start laying you will want to switch to layer feed and supply oyster shells.
My 9 week old chicks are still on the starter feed and they eat it just fine but they prefer to eat the mixed grains corn feed I give my chickens that are free range. Is it ok for them to have that since it's not really nutritious for them?

Last edited:
My 9 week old chicks are still on the starter feed and they eat it just fine but they prefer to eat the mixed grains corn feed I give my chickens that are free range. Is it ok for them to have that since it's not really nutritious for them?
They should be alright to have some of the grains. If they are free ranging with the others they should be able to get enough bugs and other free protein to make up for the lower protein in the grains.

When I bought my Cochins, the breeder said she kept her birds on starter all the way to laying stage. That's what I did and they have turned out fine. Big and healthy and giving me some nice eggs.
I just put 20 six week old Easter Eggers and a few Cochin Brahma mix chicks out in the big kid pen. I am wondering how to handle the different feed requirements for the different aged birds. What I have been doing is mixing starter and layer 50/50 and putting it out for them. Time will tell how that will work out. Anyone have any better ideas? I am open to suggestion.

I am wondering the same. I have week old chicks seperated at this time. But can i just put them on the layer feed. I know it has more calcium in layer feed.. i would like to let them run together in the next couple week or less

Back
Top Bottom