1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when do you go into lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oe bantams, Dec 10, 2009.

1. oe bantams

oe bantams Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    blue ridge mtns. of wnc
    when do you guys go into lock down start of day 18, end of day 18 or start of day 19?

2. ktown55

ktown55 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    East Tenn..
    Quote:Yesterday Was My 17th Day, After I Turn My Eggs For The Last Time I Went Into Lockdown..Or You Can do It At The Start Of The 18th day....Good Luck....It's My First Time Also.......Ktown:)

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I usually go 18 in the morning.

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    anytime on day 18, my silkie eggs i lockdown on day 17, they come early most of the time.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Locking down the bator or last turning of eggs evening of day 18. Last 3 days from 19 to 21 is when bator is kept closed til hatch is completed and not opened. Candling one last time and raising humidity evening of day 18.

6. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I usually candle at the end of the 18th day...usually when I get home from work (6pm). Then its lockdown time!!!! Everyone has a different way to do it. Just find what works best for you! [​IMG]

edit because I can spell today [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:I have all Silkies for the first 3 sets. Is this what you recommend?

8. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    my first hatch with silkies last month on the 21st i had two eggs that were pipped on day 18 when i took the turner out. temp was steady 99.5 through out the 18 days. unless you see one pipped early day18 is lockdown. i dont think one day early will hurt anything, has long as humidity is raised. mine hatched early so i lockdown a day early with silkie eggs. my thermometer may be off and the temps are higher than what it reads. unless you see one pipped early, stay with day 18 for lockdown......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by