When Do you Turn on the Heat?

The thermostat said it was 62 inside last night, I pulled the down comforter out... Im going to try and hold off as long as possible. We had 3 $300 electric bills this past summer (and they have never been that high in the 6 yrs we have owned our house) our winter bills are always higher, so if I can avoid turning it on until November Ill be a bit happier about the cost of electricity!

One more reason to be thankful I'm in Texas.

Worst gas (furnace) bill ever was maybe in the 100 range... whereas the worst electric (horrid company we've since changed) was 400! Winter is definitely easier on the wallet down here.

when i can "see" my breathe in the house....
gig.gif

really i usually turn it on about 40 degrees outside, then its on for about 3 months or so.
thumbsup.gif

Trying to put it off as long as possible. We have LPG central heating and it costs about £450 to fill the tank. Last winter was so cold that we had the tank filled 4 times. Hoping to get away with 3 fillings this winter, but we shall see. With our electricity we pay approx £200 a month all year round.

Quote:
I have one of those I heaters. Its about 1.50 a day to run it full blast but I have the 1500 watt one, not the 750 or 1000w one.

Turned the heat on here last week.

Outside temps this morning are just above freezing.

We are well insulated, if we can keep the kids form opening the windows and doors the power bill is not too bad.

Used to do the wood heat thing. Nice heat, lots of work. Haven't done wood for about 10 years, starting to think it is time to go down that path again.

Power seems to be about $150 a month higher in the winter for us.

When the house gets below 65 when we are home.

Of course, it's been fun the last couple weeks, as we didn't have a working furnace, so had to "heat" with ceramic heaters.

Now we have a nice, new, energy efficient furnace
big_smile.png
I can't wait to see the dent in the propane bill! Last year cost us about $5000 for the heating season (about October through May).

Not sure what price oil is this winter, always over $3.00 a gallon. I hate sleeping in a hot house. Truth is I turned on the heat because my dog is 14, worried about her being cold. Not many people would understand that.

Hoping to hold off until November. We usually set the house to 64 or 65, but with a new baby that's probably not a good idea this winter. We have propane, which we hate paying for, so the plan is to get a outdoor wood boiler. I wish our house had a fireplace, I grew up with indoor wood heat and really miss it. I've been trying to bake something every day to warm up the house a bit, so lots of goodies to munch on.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom