When Do you Turn on the Heat?

wow they just topped off our propane.. 2.69 a gallon.. it can run as high as 1,000 a month for a tank to heat our house.. so we try to stay around 60 and use a pellet stove to help out.. large house with lots of windows on a hill top.. .ughhhhh

not until I absolutely positively have to - mid November or first snow - whatever comes first

til then - heavy sweaters and keep the oven busy

lots of cakes and cookies in October

It was such a cold wet summer, that I never turned the furnace off this year. It kicked on several times during the summer.

gas & elec bill / month:

Summer $60, last year $40
Winter $220

Quote:
$1000 a month???
th.gif

We use oil..
It'll run us about 500-600 a month...
plus a 400+ electric bill...
We have a wood stove that we really need to hook up in our cellar and hook it into the furnace vents... hopefully we can get it going this year...

Last edited:
Quote:
At first I thought you must be getting ripped off by somebody. I had no idea propane prices varied so much until I looked up the current prices:

http://integrityenergy.com/current-propane-gas-prices/

Last year our summer fill on propane was $1.55/gal. I think it peaked at $2.15/gal around February. Since we get our propane from a cooperative we even get dividend checks back at the end of the year.

Our furnace is propane or electric and has its own electric meter so the electric co-op can bill it separately from our regular power. Running on discounted electricity at just under 6 cents per kWH is about the same cost as running on propane for $1.65/gal.

This thread makes me appreciate my wood stove and old farm house now. My last electric bill was $25.46 and it will probably go even lower as the winter progresses. I've had them at $13 before.

I couldn't imagine heating this place with oil or electric...I wouldn't be able to pay for it at all.

We have had 1 freeze so far. Heater is not on yet. Avg night time temp is around 40. We left the kitchen window open by accident and it got pretty cold.

During the winter we keep the temp at 63 during the day and 58 at night. Three nice warm comforters on the bed. Wool socks, sweats and a blanket for watching TV at night. Insulated drapes on the windows. We cut our propane use a lot.

Back
Top Bottom