When Do you Turn on the Heat?

oops read that wrong....people heat
We heat year round often.
A small fire in the morning or evening to take the chill off.
We had a cold and wet summer this year.

Last edited:
Eggcrate is a man after my own heart.
lol.png
The cooler it gets, the higher the snuggling quotient. That being said, here in NJ it was 55 in the house this AM. The heat is on now.

About two weeks after I turn the air conditioning off. Seriously! Well almost, here in Texas things can get weird especially in the spring and fall. A drop in temperature of 40 degrees in one hour is not unheard of, going from 80 to 40 with a 40 mph wind.

Quote:
Yep same here. We have been loving these mild temps. Kinda dreading the lake affect snow
sickbyc.gif
since we moved even farther north last year. Now we live right in the middle of a bunch of lakes.

ETA: we have a 350 gal propane tank and United Oil just charged us $387 to fill it 2 weeks ago. That should get us through till Feb. or March but I am not sure since we just decreased our heat loss with new windows. I may get us through a little longer since our 500 gal tank lasted almost a year.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yikes. How much is propane in your area? We have a dual propane/electric furnace and we get a discount on electric used for heating so either way it has been running about the same cost. I usually get a summer fill of 400 gals ($1.65/gal this year) and that lasts until mid- January when I switch it over to electric for the rest of the season, saving a little propane for our gas fireplace. I could pre-pay for propane before the heating season to avoid January prices, but with electric at roughly the same cost, I'd rather pay as I go with electric after that.

I'd say we average about $175 a month on winter heat here, from mid-October to mid-April. It is a modern, 1800 sq ft, 3-bedroom home, but we have a heated, uninsulated full basement that tends to drive up the cost of heating. One of these years the basement will be finished.

If I had a place to cut my own firewood it would be free but I had to buy some this year...which works out to about $50 a month for heating costs for the winter.

ETA: Actually, I bought enough to last for next year also, I do believe, so that would make my heating costs about $25 a month.

Last edited:
If I had a choice I would turn heat on until popcycles were hanging from my nose to save on heating bills-I tell my family when you cry your cold-get sweats and sweaters on not shorts and t shirts with the flimsy blankets-I cant stand that!

We have a propane fireplace in our bedroom that we leave the pilot light on year around--the room is not connect to the rest of the house's heating system. Last night it came on for the first time since last April. Last summer--2009--it came on in July and August.

Well I am in North Florida so when it gets in the 50's we are freezing to death! We don't get too much cold normally but last winter I almost froze to death! I hate cold.

Back
Top Bottom