When Does Left Out Hard Boiled eggs go bad?

I did a little internet searching and was surprised at what I found.  Several sources including some gov't food safety sites recommend not consuming hard boiled eggs after they have been unrefrigerated for just a few hours.  They also agree that they will only last a week if refrigerated.  

Like everyone else, I know I've eaten day old boiled eggs before.  I guess it just isn't a good thing to do regularly.

Quite the contrary, being subjected to bacteria regularly is better than to not have had any contact with it before and then eating something that's a bit spoiled. Regular contamination in small amounts builds up immunity. That's the reason why people often get sick when eating slightly iffy things abroad, they're not used to the local bacteria. Government recommendations are often a bit on the safe side, which isn't a bad thing, but you could probably eat the eggs without any problems. That being said, kitchen hygiene is a very important thing, especially if you handle animal feces. Chicken poop is a good source of contamination.
..........so it sounds like at the end,,, all things being said, that it's not a good practice to do on a regular basis however Lord willing if my immune system is strong enough and anybody else is, including my turkey eating some of them along with me then.... we should all be fine.
Day 3; my Turkey is still alive from eating them. =)

..... This is a good sign!!! :weee

I’ve cooked eggs and left out for 3 days then ate them and I was fine. Being on a sailboat on the water the temps are cooler. Heat will obviously deteriorate the condition of the egg . Bananas go quick with heat. I’m
Sure your fine just no the temperatures. Seafood is the worst. Cook well. Just dive in and use your taste buds and if it’s bad spit it out you’ll know . If you smoke cigarettes you’ll probably not know because your taste buds our shot

I remember as a child picking, collecting, and hoarding Easter Eggs. I can also remember eating those eggs for several days, unrefrigerated. If I recall correctly, it was at least twelve days before we found our lost, or unfound, eggs due to the stench. I have personally eaten hard boiled eggs in the shell some three days old at room temperature and have gone unscathed. Clearly, if they are mixed with Mayonnaise...they should be refrigerated immediately.

Why doesn't anyone just cut through the overabundance of caution from the government and realize objectively that everything does not neatly fit into a one size fit all set of rules!?
There are variables that alter the actual correct answer to this question. A lot of them. The least of which include: The ambient temperature the egg was left out. The boiled egg being shelled or not. The moisture and pathogen levels in the air around the egg. The amount of air its exposed to.
What was on the object that handled the egg after boiling. Etc.

Afternote I've seen boiled eggs be bad after 3 days in the fridge and a week left out; but also uncooked in the fridge for over a year still edible (by me anyway).

Back
Top Bottom