When eggs come after mating

R.J.

Songster
6 Years
Jun 19, 2017
Texas
I just got into breeding gamefowl and got my 1st pair yesterday. When I picked them out they were each in pens by themselves. A 14mo old rooster and 18mo old hen. I put them in the same pen when I got home and immediately they mated. When I got home today from work there was an egg on the ground. So I have some questions... I don't think that egg is fertile or is it? Whats the earliest time frame that the 1st egg laid would be fertile after mating? Does this mean she's going to start laying eggs and sitting on them or was this just some random egg laying thing? I didn't think gamefowl laid eggs unless they were mated.. idk I'm so new. Any info clearing up my confusion would be greatly appreciated thank yall.

I think fowl in general (chickens, ducks, geese, quail, guineas etc) will lay eggs no matter if they breed or not, I even have pigeons in my yard leaving eggs randomly. I have no clue about fertility.
Most people wait a week or two before they start gathering eggs to incubate no matter the type of bird. Crack the egg open into a dish, if you see a faint, white bullseye on the yolk, it's fertile, if it's just a spot, infertile.

I think fowl in general (chickens, ducks, geese, quail, guineas etc) will lay eggs no matter if they breed or not
Yes, This^^

Does this mean she's going to start laying eggs and sitting on them
They won't sit on eggs unless they are broody.

She may not lay again for a few days or a week or more.
That egg may have been 'in process' before you brought her home,
it takes 24-26 hours to fully process an egg.
If she wasn't with a male prior, the egg is not likely to be fertile.
The stress from moving may put her off laying until she's settled in.
Hopefully she doesn't get 'over-mated' being the only female with the male,
that can cause enough stress not to lay also.

Back
Top Bottom