Loud egg laying?

Us? We have a go team go crew. When one is laying the rest run in and cheer her on with all of them squawking and hollering.
must be a damn australorp thing! i only have 2 but my one started laying 2 weeks ago, her sister who isnt laying has squawked every day these past 2 weeks while her sister is laying and is very obnoxious lol. she just started laying 4 days ago, hoping they will quiet down at some point? or am i hoping for the impossible haha

It seems to be contagious. The hen laying the egg makes the announcement, telling all the world what a beautiful, perfect egg she has laid, all about her labor pains, what shd is going to name the child, where it will go to school and so on. Then other hens chime in, telling her how lucky she is to have such a beautiful child and all about their own hopes and dreams for their own families. It goes on and on. And if you have a rooster, he has to take credit for it all! It gets quite ridiculous and hilarious.

My Maran not only "sings" a very loud egg song, she sings it for all the other girls too when they go in to lay. Did I mention she's really loud and enthusiastic? 🤣
The others make sounds ranging from purrs, trills, and soft chuckles, and then my sweet Speckled Sussex that sounds like a dinosaur being strangled 😳
Oh my goodness yes. Trying to find other writing about the strange sounds of the Speckled Sussex. A dinosaur being strangled 🤣 perfect 👍 I have 11 hens of different breeds and one SS she is the only one that’s so loud. She sounds like she has Laryngitis or a sickness of some kind, or like a dinosaur being strangled. 😆But once she gets what she wants her breathing seems fine. I just think she has one of voices. Like Janice from Friends

Last edited:
must be a damn australorp thing! i only have 2 but my one started laying 2 weeks ago, her sister who isnt laying has squawked every day these past 2 weeks while her sister is laying and is very obnoxious lol. she just started laying 4 days ago, hoping they will quiet down at some point? or am i hoping for the impossible haha
Funny! My Black Australorp is a "stealth layer". She sneaks quietly into a nest box, silently does her thing, then sneaks out again. 🤫 She's really ticked if I peek in while coop-cleaning or collecting other girls' eggs. Guess it's "a private function"!😉

Unlike the raucous crew who sounds off before, during & after (especially the Delaware, Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red), and Martha the Midwife who sings egg song for everyone else (while spying on the nest boxes from outside). 🤣

Oh my goodness yes. Trying to find other writing about the strange sounds of the Speckled Sussex. A dinosaur being strangled 🤣 perfect 👍 I have 11 hens of different breeds and one SS she is the only one that’s so loud. She sounds like she has Laryngitis or a sickness of some kind, or like a dinosaur being strangled. 😆But once she gets what she wants her breathing seems fine. I just think she has one of voices. Like Janice from Friends
I love when someone is visiting and she starts up with the strangled dinosaur noise, the reaction every time - "What is that?!" 🤣

And both of them make a real short sharp bawk that sounds more like a small dog bark than a chicken :confused:

i jokingly refer to the first hour after the ladies are up as the exorcism of the eggs. one will announce that. she. will egg now. and then its a call and response. occasionally they'll hear our neighbor's hens and join in and vice versa. but yeah if you don't know whats up you'd swear they're doing some weird yelling ritual with running in and out of the hen house 🤣

Back
Top Bottom