Loud egg laying?

I thought she was being murdered or injured!
First time I heard the egg song chorus, I ran down there thinking the same thing.
Most the hens and the cockbird were all sounding off.

One year had 10 POL pullets sounding off throughout the day, had to close the house windows so I could hear a work call on the phone.

Today when i got home my mom called for me to go check on one of my chickens. She was being loud and was inside the coop, immediately i went in to investigate and saw that she was laying down and a bit puffy but squaking. We dont know much about chickens and this freaked us both out, we suspected she was laying an egg but neither of us have heard her do this before since she lays in the afternoon.

after a few minutes she did stop and i went to check on her again. She was quite and began to move around then became a penguin and laid an egg! Im of course extremely happy i got to see how she acts when she lays an egg and even happier that she used the area they sleep in to lay her egg instead of the ground. But what still concerns me a bit is her squawking, was she just announcing that shes laying an egg or something?
I have 2 that announce they will be laying an egg for about an hour before hand. That's some funny stuff!

Mine sounded like she was in pain which is why i panicked
My EE was my first to lay about 2 weeks ago, her hatch mate started last week (18 and 20 weeks) . They both have this screeching noise/sound they make, like when they are mad. Then they do the egg song, and then go in a lay. The first time she started running back and forth in the run like something was wrong, or scared. I went over to pick her up and gave her pets, she just cuddled up on my chest. Like you I panicked also. Now she screeches every time and runs to the gate waiting for me, and thinks I am supposed to go out and pick her up?? Now (Nena) the other one jumps on me as well. But as soon as they lay the eggs, I am totally forgotten. LOL With four more getting nearer to laying I hope this is not a trend (16 weeks). :lau :lau 💕

Today when i got home my mom called for me to go check on one of my chickens. She was being loud and was inside the coop, immediately i went in to investigate and saw that she was laying down and a bit puffy but squaking. We dont know much about chickens and this freaked us both out, we suspected she was laying an egg but neither of us have heard her do this before since she lays in the afternoon.

after a few minutes she did stop and i went to check on her again. She was quite and began to move around then became a penguin and laid an egg! Im of course extremely happy i got to see how she acts when she lays an egg and even happier that she used the area they sleep in to lay her egg instead of the ground. But what still concerns me a bit is her squawking, was she just announcing that shes laying an egg or something?
My chooks make a lot of noise after they have laid an egg. I don’t know if it’s to let me know that she has produced an egg as if she is saying check this out. When you think about it. It would be like giving birth everyday. I think I’d make a lot of noise pushing an egg out a day.

Back
Top Bottom