When faced with temptation, my rooster did not resist

The flock, which includes the red hen so significantly singled out by my rooster, wisely over wintered close to their own home, vacating their underfeeder outpost to avoid a snowy commute from their backyard to mine.

When the hens began to resume daily bird feeder operations earlier this month, at first in small numbers, later in force, they were surprised to find that they had lost ground to a gray squirrel who had spent the winter throwing his weight around with any doves and juncos who challenged his authority.

As the hens persisted in infringement of his territory, Chunker (gray squirrel), realizing that undisputed access to seed harvesting and collection was at stake, flexed first on a young and inexperienced barred rock, who knew no more than to give ground and retreat.
Enter Red Hen.

Red Hen, who has lost some of her dainty athletic looks and filled out her feathered figure nicely, found herself similarly challenged for underfeeder rights by Chunker whose moves had been found satisfyingly formidable to all former opponents. Red Hen, who last fall proved her reluctance to retreat from approaching weirdos (my rooster, now the squirrel), quickly and efficiently bowed him out of his delusion, wings down, her eye contact unbroken. To this unanticipated resistance, Chunker quickly gave ground, retreating to safety in the outskirts of the perimeter.

Red Hen & Friends reign supreme.

So, I have a very happy pair of small bantams that live a small bantam life in a massive chicken tractor they have all to themselves. Tractor weighs maybe 300lbs, they weigh about 3.5lbs (total combined). For such a small flock, they get along great, and my rooster is a nice gentleman to his hen. Lately, the neighbor's flock of 7 ladies has been frequenting my yard because I am amassing a small chicken army that meets for drill under the bird feeder. These ladies are larger hens (not bantams) and are generally very friendly and polite visitors, only occasionally pooping on the back porch.

Yesterday, I decided to clean the coop and let my two out for some partially supervised range time. Meanwhile, the neighbor's flock had moved up the hill toward the birdfeeder, where my two wouldn't see or mix with them. As I tediously emptied the run of poopy toys, I looked up and saw my rooster doing a spectacular wing drop dance dance revolution across the yard, toward a pair of hens who had wandered down the hill and were innocently poking around behind the crab apple tree.

My rooster, self-proclaimed dance artist:
View attachment 3260535

One hen had the presence of mind to avoid the imminently approaching weirdo (my rooster) by retreating back up the hill, but the other hen was seemingly dazzled by his dance moves (which admittedly were mesmerizing) and paused to watch. My rooster had apparently decided the crab apple tree was as good of a place as any for a romantic tryst, and before anyone quite knew what was happening, moved in for the groove. Meanwhile and fortuitously, my bantam hen (whom he had deserted) missed witnessing the entirety of the unwholesome scene, having retreated back to the coop area, and there complained loudly at finding herself alone.

After the irreversible deed was done, my rooster seemed not opposed to wing dropping for any of the other ladies who would give him audience, but I decided to curtail his endeavors and encouraged him to resume his duties down the hill in the general direction of the chicken tractor.

The red hen waited around for a while before reluctantly returning to her friends.

Here, a formally skittish and shy red hen is pictured peering in the back door earlier today, seemingly asking one of two questions:
A)Do you have treats
B)Might you have seen that rooster anywhere?
View attachment 3260536

Although my rooster's morals could be called into nonexistantly doubtful question, the red hen is admittedly is very pretty.
View attachment 3260537

Pictured here is the bantam lady who doesn't know a thing:
View attachment 3260538
Wow! Just goes to show you can't even trust a "married" rooster! Better just keep Mrs. Sweetie in the dark. She is SOOOOO cute! So is he, the rascal! My husband adds that you can't always blame the hen, if the rooster is so good looking! (Of course, he'd have to say that!).

Attachments

• IMG_4655 (1).JPG
    IMG_4655 (1).JPG
    524.7 KB · Views: 6
My husband adds that you can't always blame the hen, if the rooster is so good looking!
Although my rooster has been known to cast off moral restraint, lately he has been pretty preoccupied due to Mrs. gearing up for egg laying. She has been keeping him busy with housework (making imaginary nests, and complaining about the nests he makes). Sometimes he still finds time to dance, but has kept it close to the home hearth! 🙃

So, I have a very happy pair of small bantams that live a small bantam life in a massive chicken tractor they have all to themselves. Tractor weighs maybe 300lbs, they weigh about 3.5lbs (total combined). For such a small flock, they get along great, and my rooster is a nice gentleman to his hen. Lately, the neighbor's flock of 7 ladies has been frequenting my yard because I am amassing a small chicken army that meets for drill under the bird feeder. These ladies are larger hens (not bantams) and are generally very friendly and polite visitors, only occasionally pooping on the back porch.

Yesterday, I decided to clean the coop and let my two out for some partially supervised range time. Meanwhile, the neighbor's flock had moved up the hill toward the birdfeeder, where my two wouldn't see or mix with them. As I tediously emptied the run of poopy toys, I looked up and saw my rooster doing a spectacular wing drop dance dance revolution across the yard, toward a pair of hens who had wandered down the hill and were innocently poking around behind the crab apple tree.

My rooster, self-proclaimed dance artist:
View attachment 3260535

One hen had the presence of mind to avoid the imminently approaching weirdo (my rooster) by retreating back up the hill, but the other hen was seemingly dazzled by his dance moves (which admittedly were mesmerizing) and paused to watch. My rooster had apparently decided the crab apple tree was as good of a place as any for a romantic tryst, and before anyone quite knew what was happening, moved in for the groove. Meanwhile and fortuitously, my bantam hen (whom he had deserted) missed witnessing the entirety of the unwholesome scene, having retreated back to the coop area, and there complained loudly at finding herself alone.

After the irreversible deed was done, my rooster seemed not opposed to wing dropping for any of the other ladies who would give him audience, but I decided to curtail his endeavors and encouraged him to resume his duties down the hill in the general direction of the chicken tractor.

The red hen waited around for a while before reluctantly returning to her friends.

Here, a formally skittish and shy red hen is pictured peering in the back door earlier today, seemingly asking one of two questions:
A)Do you have treats
B)Might you have seen that rooster anywhere?
View attachment 3260536

Although my rooster's morals could be called into nonexistantly doubtful question, the red hen is admittedly is very pretty.
View attachment 3260537

Pictured here is the bantam lady who doesn't know a thing:
View attachment 3260538
That is a gorgeous boy and girl you have but I'm not surprised that redhead turned his little beak. Great story

Some visiting neighbors showed up at the back porch the other day:
20231005_151912.jpg
The red hen so formerly preferred by my rooster is the one on the left. She has grown quite a bit.

They peered in the window, dried off, pooped (x6), and took a nap.

During their visit, they consumed
1. 1 baked chip,
2. the bottom of a hamburger bun, and 3. some raisins.

They seemed to enjoy their stay but haven't been back. Maybe they were just waiting around for that elusive rooster, not sure
20231016_221504.jpg
20231016_221805.jpg
Except for massively pooping in between the porch boards, they're pretty good neighbors!

Back
Top Bottom