When/How to Sex EE Chicks? (Pics added pg 2)

j'schicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Sonoma
I hatched 4 EE babies last week. When and how can I tell how many pullets I ended up with? I can post pics if someone thinks that they can give me a hand.

Last edited:
Congrats on the babies! Unfortunately, EE's are notoriously hard to sex. You most likely will not know for sure until at least 4 months, maybe even longer. I have had EE's I swore were girls and then they crowed and vice versa. Every once in awhile you will get one that you "just know" but I'm pretty sure everyone will tell you the same thing - you have to wait.

I'd like to see pics anyway LOL :) I have 6 EE eggs in my 'bator now....about 2 hours away from day 21. No noises or movement yet, but I hope soon. I'd like to see some little EE babies until mine pop out!

Y'all got here before I could post my answer: You can't.

lol.png

the best way to sex the EEis to look for sadel fethers they will start to grow abou 3 months if they grow sadlel fethers that are shiny and pointed they are roos can tell on my EE at about 2 1/2 months

Well, 2 of out of the 3 EE's I got from a hatchery that were supposed to be pullets started crowing a couple of weeks ago, but based on feedback from the board I was pretty sure they were roos before they confirmed it by crowing. They were 10-12 weeks old before I started posting pics here. Before then they were pretty similar in appearance.

sometimes the tail grow slower on boys and sometimes they feather out slower also.

I had some EEs that were 24 weeks old before I figured out they they were boys
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom