1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When I am done hatching...seriously I will be soon, was wondering if..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, Oct 30, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I should consider doing preventive maintence to my bators, they honestly have been running pretty much since I got them [​IMG]
    Should I order new wafers for them or anything else? I always do maintenance on my vehicles, tractor, horse trailer, why not my bators?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    what a great idea. whodathunk. good idea to put in my pocket for next year.

orpingtonnnnnnnssss!

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I think if you hatch non stop they should be changed every year to prevent problems down the road.

4. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:My thoughts too. I can go ahead and order and then change them before starting up again. Heck I can stop hatching long enough to change wafers..... right? [​IMG]

Stevie is there anything else that is recommended to be changed out?

5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I believe its just the wafer. I only had my hova for one hatch but I remember the directions saying it was only the wafer. The termostadt and other components should be fine. Dont worry. It only takes a few minutes to replace the wafer and get the bator back up and running

6. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Ok, so I will go ahead and order a couple. Shut her down Dec 31 and should be back up Jan 1, I Love it when a Plan comes together [​IMG]

This way I will only lose a few hours of chick growing time...... [​IMG]

7. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Dont forget to do a disenfect for any bacteria. I know I am going to take this back but next yr I only have 1 batch of eggs coming and I am done. I know I am probably lying to myself.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Where do you order waffers for the hova's ?

9. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    hi hangin,

You can order them off ebay or GQF's site. I think Double R Discount sell them but I dont know about keps koops?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  10. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Ok so I will leave it down for a week.... I can manage that , I'm sure I can, can't I???????? [​IMG] [​IMG] I am seriously in trouble with this whole hatching thing. I hope I can let go of my eggs to other people next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by