when is it time for a new rooster?

gypsy chicken

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
nevada
We used to keep chickens all growing up at my grandpa's when I was a kid, but I never dealt with the issue of when do I introduce a new roo? Meaning...after I've had my flock for some time with my rooster, when I do I bring in new blood so that I don't breed too closely? Or does this matter? I find the idea of daughter to dad wrong. My bbs orpingtons are just shy of 6 months so I am not worried, but at some point in the next year or two I would like to hatch a few chicks and was unsure if those chicks should be separated and later bred to a new rooster? I feel like a goober but I seriously have never had to deal with it personally.

You are better to keep you rooster if he good quality. Breeding him to his offspring and the other hens will be fine.. and it will keep the good genetics and looks of you birds.

But don't breed brother / sister chickens together.. they are too closely related and after some generations genetic faults will show up.

If you get a new rooster he may carry a disease, or pass on undesirable genetic traits to you flock.

However, after a few generations it would be good to add new blood to you flock from good quality birds... but you don't have to worry at the moment... perhaps after several years.

Back
Top Bottom