When is it time for the big free range in the sky?

Britt007

Songster
6 Years
Dec 5, 2013
Nashville
First off, Thank you all for sharing so much about what works with your chickens. It has helped me in so many ways.

My sweet pullet, Chloe, has been suffering from some sort of mycoplasma/CRD for about 4 months. She was a donated chicken to our local church and when it looked like she was sick and the others were shunning her, I brought her into our home because I'd had pet chickens as a kid.

This is what I've done and hopefully it will help you help me determine if I should give up at this point. I know what I'm dealing with is chronic, what I'm trying to determine is ... do you think there's a chance she'll be able to get into a time of remission in the future.

NOVEMEBER (first try)
I read a post on here about LA200 injections and followed those directions (two doses, 3 days apart)

it seemed to knock it out of her but a week later I saw the big tear drop come out of her very clear eye and she started symptoms again..

my plan was to try the LA 200 again and go a little longer but I heard of a chicken vet so I didn't -

DECEMBER (second try)
Chicken vet gave her sulfamethoxaxole/trmethroprim liquid (dose by mouth for 10 days)
after 6 days, I could see her getting worse and worse and realized that if I continued with this treatment she wouldn't make it to 10 days.

JANUARY (third try)
I was going to take her to the vet to be put to sleep but thought I'd give Tylan injections a try. I originally thought I'd try 5 days. I"ve seen a BIG improvement but I was still seeing gooey eyes and swollen sinuses so I stayed on course until I hit day 10 (yesterday)

Presently, she is VERY VERY VERY peppy, hungry and happy. Leaping all over the inside pen, squawking and when I let her out of the pen, she walks all around the house looking at stuff.

But.... her eyes are still someone runny. I thinking it may be the remainder of her sinuses draining, like after you get a cold and you might have a drip for a month or two. I wash her eyes and sinuses out with VetRx every night.

So I'd love an opinion.

Should I continue with Tylan and see if I can completely clear it up- even though it's not good to be on a medication for a long time AND it may hurt her chances of treating it again in the future if she DOES get into a remission.

Stop now and let her own body knock the remainder of the secondary infections out.

or maybe - "I"ve seen chickens like that and if you're not seeing clear eyes at this point, stop trying."

I love this little hen. She has a lot of personality and has put up with a lot. I guess I'm just trying to figure out when it's time to give up. At this point, I don't think she's in any pain... but I know she'd be happier outside.

THANKS SO MUCH. and good luck with your chickens!!
Britt and Chloe.

i would do the tylan for 2 more days but you do know that she will be a carrier? it will pass to all your chickens sooner or later even if its by your shoes

i know of a person that treated her whole flock and one polish took forever. i think it was 7 days for them then 14 for the polish. and it was just having the eye problem and a week or so after she stopped it swelled again and she gave it a double dose under the skin and that knocked it out. i am not recommending this, its just what she did

Do NOT put VetRx in the eyes. It is similar to menthol products for humans, very irritating to the eyes. This could be the reason you are still seeing runny eyes. It is not intended to be used in the eyes and the package instructions specifically state not to do so.

Do NOT put VetRx in the eyes. It is similar to menthol products for humans, very irritating to the eyes. This could be the reason you are still seeing runny eyes. It is not intended to be used in the eyes and the package instructions specifically state not to do so.
The guy at the feedstore does this and it drives me nuts!

-Kathy

Thanks, Granny, for the additional information.

Thanks, Cafarmgirl and Kathy, Yeah, I was told to use the VetRX as a sort of warm compost at the Co Op- and although I wasn't putting it IN the eye, maybe that has been bothering her. I'll try just sterile water tonight.

Back
Top Bottom