when it rains it pours

alaskalife

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2019
Anchorage Alaska
I posted last week in the predator forum. Lost a chicken to a hawk. Spent so much time and energy getting the run fixed up. Ugh. They just calmed down finally from that experience. We heard a loud noise in the middle of the night. I shrugged it off thinking it was the cat being weird. 6:30 am look outside to check on the chickens while i make breakfast. A TREE FELL ON MY COOP. roof Is gone. Whole back side is gone. The chickens were all okay. Stayed in the nesting boxes. Seriously. What gives a friend came and helped me cut the tree and fix it the best we could. But i honestly think the universe doesn’t want me having chickens. My anxiety is through the roof. No real point to this post. Mother Nature is weird. And out of all the places in a 1 acre property a tree falling on my coop happened ‍♀️

Attachments

• 2D00347A-E938-437A-84EF-18D0CEDC1672.jpeg
    2D00347A-E938-437A-84EF-18D0CEDC1672.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
  • B03A5315-3F60-466E-AD5A-BFDF4CF7FB61.jpeg
    B03A5315-3F60-466E-AD5A-BFDF4CF7FB61.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
Did the tree just break and fall over? Or wind damage?
Don't feel too bad about not hearing it fall. Last summer a tree in our yard, a double trunked oak, each trunk 14 feet around and 70 feet tall approximately, full of grapevines and acorns, fell in the middle of the night. We didn't hear a thing and my DH nearly had a heart attack when he went out to put something in the mailbox the next morning and saw that huge thing lying down.
I loved that tree. I am still mourning our loss. I know that sounds crazy, but it's the truth.

Wow that's pretty crazy. Just glad neither chickens nor humans were hurt by the fall!
So thankful it happened at the time of day it did! my kids always play right there especially my 13 month old baby girl!!!
Wow that's pretty crazy. Just glad neither chickens nor humans were hurt by the fall!

Did the tree just break and fall over? Or wind damage?
Don't feel too bad about not hearing it fall. Last summer a tree in our yard, a double trunked oak, each trunk 14 feet around and 70 feet tall approximately, full of grapevines and acorns, fell in the middle of the night. We didn't hear a thing and my DH nearly had a heart attack when he went out to put something in the mailbox the next morning and saw that huge thing lying down.
I loved that tree. I am still mourning our loss. I know that sounds crazy, but it's the truth.
We haven’t had much wind. We had a pretty HOT summer here in Alaska. We did have a 5.1 earthquake yesterday so I’m thinking that’s what did it. It was a perfect healthy live tree! It grazed our septic as well. So crazy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom