When should I plant my squash in the garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by drewskimac, Mar 31, 2018.

1. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    I started my squash indoors in early February. I've never started them this early before, so i've never had to worry about if i'm transplanting them to the garden too early. They are in the greenhouse right now and are getting really large - i've had to repot them 3 times, they are now in a 1 gallon pot. they all have about 5 tiny buds on them. My frost date is 4 days from now - when is the best time to transplant squash plants to the garden?

2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The rule of thumb is to wait until all danger of frost is past. Even then, they will do better if you wait until the soil temperature is 60°F.

Check your long range forecasts to help predict when your last frost date is.

drewskimac likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    In the mean time, you can cover your planting site with plastic. (laid right on top of the soil) You could also put up a plastic tunnel and plant the squash under the tunnel after giving the plastic time to do it's magic of heating the soil.

4. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I second that. You are safe to plant it as long as you are sure all danger of frost has passed. But they are happier with the higher soil temperature. I usually direct sow Mine sometime in May where the daytime temperatures usually stay in the 60s or 70s here

drewskimac likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: