When should I set my door to close?

Do you set an automatic door to close at astronomical twilight or earlier? Sunset right now is about 830, but according to charts twilight is at 1030. What time should I set my door to close? Currently I have it set at 915, but will be going on vacation and don't want them getting stuck outside at night. I can't see the run once the sun goes down so I don't know what time the chickens have gone to roost.
Any suggestions?

Not sure of your location with those sunset times, but you must be north and west of me to experience those.
Chickens will go to roost at dusk. That usually means sunset. Some of my chickens do go in earlier. Then there are some stragglers that keep scratching for feed and go in somewhat later.
I think the 45 minute cushion after sunset is sufficient. JMO.
The importance of having the pop door close NOT TOO LATE, is the obvious wake up time of predators. Mainly raccoons.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome

Not sure of your location with those sunset times, but you must be north and west of me to experience those.
Chickens will go to roost at dusk. That usually means sunset. Some of my chickens do go in earlier. Then there are some stragglers that keep scratching for feed and go in somewhat later.
I think the 45 minute cushion after sunset is sufficient. JMO.
The importance of having the pop door close NOT TOO LATE, is the obvious wake up time of predators. Mainly raccoons.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome

Guessing Ohio from the username.

@Layininohio , my door uses a light sensor, and it tends to close right around what I would consider sunset. Maybe 10-15 minutes after what I would call sunset. Recently that has been around 8:30 PM, same time you mentioned. Changes by a few minutes per day obviously as we approach summer.

There is no way in hell I would have my door open until 10:30 if sunset is at 8:30. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom