When should I start giving my chicks water?

I w
I find myself hoping this post is merely trolling, trying to get a rise out of the community.

YES. Chicks need fresh clean water. Sure, they can probably go without a few days as the last of the yolk sack is absorbed (depending on how long they struggled to escape their cell of calcium carbonate), but an extended period without water is detrimental to all living things - the just born most especially.

I can't imagine where your friend got their information from. Can you politely suggest they join BYC??? This community has its disagreements, and some frequent posters of questionable qualifications, but in the main, it will steer you (welcom to BYC, btw) and your friend right, with the weath of direct experience, research, and knowledge here accumulated.

and if its a fear of drowning in their water bowl, a few marbles or similar can be helpful in ensuring the dish is not so deep as to allow them to soak themselves into hypothermia or somehow drown.
I will definitely tell him to join byc

Corn starch? Um no. That is NOT a feed. It is used to thicken gravy and sauces mainly.

Please provide clean water, appropriate chick starter feed, a heat source such as a broody mama hen or heat plate designed for chicks and only get chick raising advice from reliable and experienced sources.

BYC is chock full of great information and knowledgeable people.

Update, one of the chicks is dead and the others are falling ill. Guess that's that😓
As for anyone who's saying I'm a troll, I've been a member for a pretty long time and I've always asked serious questions. I'll leave the rest to you
Do they sell chick feed in India?

I'm just curious, is the hen free ranging with the chicks? Or is she somewhere she can't provide for them? I just ask because there have been times when I had hens provide for chicks d@mn near without any human assistance at all during winter.

It could be that they assumed the hen would do all the heavy lifting like finding food and water. Not sure why they would use cornstarch for that though. It's basically just good for stopping bleeding

I'm just curious, is the hen free ranging with the chicks? Or is she somewhere she can't provide for them? I just ask because there have been times when I had hens provide for chicks d@mn near without any human assistance at all during winter.

It could be that they assumed the hen would do all the heavy lifting like finding food and water. Not sure why they would use cornstarch for that though. It's basically just good for stopping bleeding
I'm pretty sure they aren't free ranging

Back
Top Bottom