When should I stop using medicated start and grow for 3 month old buff orpingtons...

Letsgetchickens

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Northeast Ohio
Our buff orpingtons (we think all pullets) are a little over 3 months old. We need to go get more feed in the next couple of days. They are currently on medicated start and grow crumbles. Should I switch them to non medicated start and grow crumbles or pellets...an all flock...with or without oyster shell on the side....or layer??

Our friends said to take them off medicated before they are going to lay eggs...but how long before??

We are planning on letting them free range when we are at home...but are worried about that as we don't want anything to happen to them. We have hawks and have seen a fox up the road from us. So IF we free range, what age would we do that?

I've read A LOT about all of this, but there are sooooo many options😱

Sorry for all the questions...

You can go off of medicated one and stay on non medicated chick grower till laying. Then either all flock or layer feed, the problem with the layer feed is lower protein percentage. Most here like all- flock which is a lot like chick starter so you can continue till it's gone. When I first started I thought they had to have layer once they were laying but not so. I offer oyster shell all the time and only laying hens eat it.
And don't be sorry about ??s that's what we are all here for.

Assuming they are out on your grounds and exposed to your dirt for some time, you can transition to All Flock at any time. Yes, free choice the oyster shell. Expect they will initially check it out, likely spill a decent bit - birds explore the world with their beaks - then mostly ignore it till they start laying. Even then, they may not consume much of it, depending on the size and frequency of egg production - birds which infrequently produce small eggs need much less calcium than a production red at her peak.

My birds are free ranging between 7-10 weeks, usually 8-10. When to free range, how to free range, where to free range is a risk balancing activity - its both personal to you and unique to your circumstances. There is no one right answer.

Why so long?
I took my first chicks off of medicated feed when they were like 10 weeks and in two or three weeks they got coccidulosis and two of them died I put the remaining two on corid and put them back on medicated and they are doing good now so I just keep chicks on medicated till 20 weeks. I don't mind, it's the same price as non-medicated over here so it's worth it just to make sure.

When you finish the bag.

This.

Or, in my case, when they're integrating and have access to the adults' feeders with the all-flock in them.

What are your preferences for crumbles vs pellets?

Of the same feed -- whichever is cheaper. If there is no price difference, whichever is available.

I have one feeder that handles crumble better and one feeder that handles pellets better.

And yet another feeder that lets them waste more crumble -- at which point I don't feed them again until they've cleaned up what they've spilled.

^^^ that.

I personally prefer crumbles, but its because I almost always (actually, without exception for the last 19 months) have hatchlings underfoot, who can't eat a full sized pellet. Also, pellets (for me) are much more expensive, as I would need to change brands.

As @3KillerBs correctly notes, your choice of feeder may have something to say in the matter, too. I use plastic gutters, they are "accomodating" of various feed choices.

Thank you all!

We just went to TSC intending to get the same feed only non medicated and try the pellets. Guess what...sold out🙄

So, we ended up getting an all flock pellet with 20% protein and got 50 pounds of oyster shell. I was happy because the feed was cheaper...then as hubby was putting in the car he noticed it was 40 pounds instead of 50 pounds...UGHH

Oh well...that's what they're getting this time around. We mixed it with the leftover crumbles so we shall see.

I will say this new feed smells really good!!...lol

Thank you all!

We just went to TSC intending to get the same feed only non medicated and try the pellets. Guess what...sold out🙄

So, we ended up getting an all flock pellet with 20% protein and got 50 pounds of oyster shell. I was happy because the feed was cheaper...then as hubby was putting in the car he noticed it was 40 pounds instead of 50 pounds...UGHH

Oh well...that's what they're getting this time around. We mixed it with the leftover crumbles so we shall see.

I will say this new feed smells really good!!...lol
You bought Nutrena.
Yeah, the 40# bag makes many think its cheaper feed, since most look to price, not price/pound.

Its good feed though, I've used it myself w/o complaint or concern.

Back
Top Bottom