When should we switch to layer feed? Chickens are 14 weeks old.

At about 10 weeks I switch over to a layer crumble. The guy I talked to has about 3,000 hens on his farm and recommended that to me. My hens are over a year old now and they are doing fine.

At about 10 weeks I switch over to a layer crumble. The guy I talked to has about 3,000 hens on his farm and recommended that to me. My hens are over a year old now and they are doing fine.

FTR - someone running 3,000 hens is not looking at longevity in a way that would be impacted by the early switch to high calcium - large scale operations are looking to get 1-2 laying cycles out of a bird - the damage done by the early high calcium levels is something that would not be noticed for that sort of operation, but it does not negate the fact that the damage is done. Switching so early is short sighted not only due to the calcium increase, but also due to the protein decrease at a time the birds are still in need of the higher protein offered by starter/grower to develop to their full potential.

FTR - someone running 3,000 hens is not looking at longevity in a way that would be impacted by the early switch to high calcium - large scale operations are looking to get 1-2 laying cycles out of a bird - the damage done by the early high calcium levels is something that would not be noticed for that sort of operation, but it does not negate the fact that the damage is done. Switching so early is short sighted not only due to the calcium increase, but also due to the protein decrease at a time the birds are still in need of the higher protein offered by starter/grower to develop to their full potential.

Advice taken ... thank you

So, since I have a roo out of my mini flock of 5, I'd be ok to switch to flock feed and offer eggshells on the side? Pullets are 10 weeks, cockrel 7. At what age should I switch? Do the layers need any extra supplements? They all get free range time plus lots of healthy snacks.

So, since I have a roo out of my mini flock of 5, I'd be ok to switch to flock feed and offer eggshells on the side? Pullets are 10 weeks, cockrel 7. At what age should I switch? Do the layers need any extra supplements? They all get free range time plus lots of healthy snacks.

I would not rely on egg shell alone as a calcium supplement if feeding a flock feed - I would provide oyster shell as the primary calcium source with egg shells mixed in as available. What are you switching from?

Last edited:
I have 11 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Red Sex, and one Easter Egger all 14 weeks. I have read that they should be fed twice daily and I have read that they should have feed available all the time. I want to make sure they don't get over fed.

I'm seeing lots of very specific reasons to feed the right feed at the right time. Would appreciate help in deciphering what I should do for my girls.
I have:
One 3+yo, purchased at produce store as a "commercial red layer" - laying 4+ times a week
One 2 yo, as above, laying a 35 day cycle, then missing only one day. !!!
One Isa Brown, 23 week, not yet laying
One Blue Australorp, 22 week, not laying.
One Sussex, 22 week, not laying

Clearly we've had the older two for longer. I was diligent with dates, and waited to start layer pellets (small size, good quality) when the youngest was 18 weeks. That was when we put the younger 3 in with the older two. Now I discover that best to wait until they're laying to give layer food. And I've just learned the Isa Brown would be 24-26 weeks, the Australorp will be 30+ weeks and the Sussex will be about 40 weeks!

How should I proceed - should I separate out the younger ones again so I can give them grower (and have to go through re-intergration again
sad.png
) or just leave them (I do have some pullet grower left over, but it has a withholding period of 2 weeks). Not keen on losing chooks with organ failure from too much calcium, or life long weakness from not enough protein in development.
Thankful to have a community here to learn from.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom