when should you hear or feel chicks in egg?

happyhensny

Brown Barns Farm
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
near Albany, New York
I'm having the same problem. 17 blue or blue-green eggs in the bator, lockdown and all we've ever seen is the shadow and air pocket. Guess we need to buy/make a better candler.

kelseygirl707

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Lakeport, Ca.
I have never felt anything from an egg, and only heard something after the chick has pipped the air cell. But i have eggs on day 15 right now, and when I turn them they want to roll back to the way they were, because the mass of the chick pulls it back down.

GotChicken?

Songster
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
The Thumb, MI
Well, one thing I learned the hard way is that a couple of days before lockdown, the chicks start producing their own body heat. The egg will feel hotter than you think it should be, and temps could possible spike. I was having fits with my thermostat until I read about the body heat thing in a post on this forum. Then I felt very newbie for a while.

footballcoachmiller

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
Dandridge, TN
Thanks for everyone's comments, I built a homemade candler using a lamp and a card board box with a 100 watt bulb with 1710 lumens and still only see the air pocket everything else is just dark, well it is almost lock down, I guess I will just wait and see now. Mine do want to roll back when I turn them so hopefully that is a good sign.

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
I can tell you this much. With my dark eggs, all along I could see nothing. Then today, right before lockdown, BIG air cell and a blob - just like it should be!!! Don't give up!

Top Bottom