1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to add lights?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Earlier this year my chickens weren't molting, and I read to not have extra light on them until they molt, because the need shortening days to start molting and with the extra light they weren't. I turned the lights off and immediately they started molting. I'm not completely sure how long ago that was...maybe 2 months ago? How do I tell they are done molting so I can turn the lights back on so they start laying? I was getting 4-6 eggs out of 16 hens, (5 too young to molt.) and now I am getting 7-8 a day. Are they done?

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Mine will molt at different times sometimes with a few birds lagging behind on their molts. 2 months is all I give them without light October and November. December my lights are back on with hopes of plenty of eggs for the baking to begin.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Without picking them up I watch their tails, if the tail feathers are coming back then they are nearly done molting. Also the legs and will look less washed out as the pigments are rebuilt. Picking them up stretch the wings and see if the flight feathers are all there and if there are still feathers coming in under the existing feathers. If I were manipulating the lighting for molts, after two months like Makomd, but I would take month more to ramp up the lights adding time in increments till I reached the magic fourteen hours.

4. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

They should be done. I think you can turn them on.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by