When to dubb a rooster with frostbite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by funonahonda, Dec 25, 2008.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Hello, I was reading the lastest issue of BACKYARD POULTRY and they were saying to wait to dubb a chicken when the moon is not full or something? We just found that our rooster has frostbite and I wanna dubb him this weekend so he wont get infected but don't know when to do it so it won't bleed much. Can anyone help? Thanks

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    It has to do with the fact that the dubbed area will bleed less. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but that's what I've heard.

3. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    So I'm wondering if it is the time now where it would bleed less??

4. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Hrer's a quote from this:
    http://www.freewebs.com/cajunyankee/dubbing.htm

It is best to dub a bird the last two, or three days of the moon cycle, just before the new moon. This puts the blood of the bird more in the feet, and less in the head of the bird. I also prefer to do it in the evening, when the birds are calm, and will not be doing a bunch of running around after they are dubbed.

I think your timing is about right moon wise:

http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/moon/index.php

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I know many swear by thing like that, but personally, if there is a problem now, regardless of what the moon cycle is, or any other rule of thumb with cycles of earth, I'd go ahead and dub, outside, in the cold, where physiologically, vessles will be contracted due to the cold weather and thus not bleed much.

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'd do it right now! You don't want to wait until septic blood travels to the lower part of the body. Gangrene sets in fast on dead tissue and spreads like all get out. If you have dead flesh to remove, do it. You don't have to dub the entire comb right now, if you're really worried about it, but do remove any necrotic tissue. You have my sympathy, this kind of procedure sounds really sucky. Merry freakin' xmas. [​IMG]

7. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    what exactly is dubbing?

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    dubbing-the removal of comb and waddles by cutting them off.

9. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Quote:If I needed to dub, I would do it when it was needed (ie after the frostbite), or before the frostbite if I had the breeds prone to this and lived in a climate making it a problem. I do not pay much attention to the moon's affect on the flora, fauna and land-- other than to pay attention to the tides if planning a beach expedition. And of course to admire it's beauty as it waxes and wanes. I do not personally hold to it affecting blood circulation in a rooster's combs, but who knows. I do not think it should override an immediate need to do a procedure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by