When to expect eggs?

I wish we HAD gotten a picture, but my husband threw the egg in the compost pile and it was pretty smooshed by the time I got to see it! We had to go out of town for a few days for a family funeral, but since last Friday, we are now getting 4 perfectly formed and shelled eggs in the layer boxes daily. We have not found anymore funny or thin-shelled eggs. (Although we have 9 hens!) We have been giving them layer feed and they scratch up lots of weeds, bugs, etc., along with whatever from the garden. The person at our co-op said the layer feed should be satisfactory without the oyster shell, but I, too, was curious if layer feed (layena) alone was enough. The shells now seem thicker than those of store-bought, however, we are new to this and I appreciate any suggestion!
smile.png

Oh, my chickens are hmm I think 18 to 19 weeks old, 24 of them, one rooster, they have all the signs, red in the face, squatting, rooster ummm activity, and they go sit in the nesting boxes a few min every once in awhile and all have been doing this for about 2 weeks, driving me crazy......still no eggs, just happy hens.
smile.png

We got our girls as day-old chicks in January, and they've been laying for about 2 weeks now (they are now 24 weeks old). The first to lay was a BO, followed by our Black Australorps and then the Araucana. I'm not sure if the Black Sex-link is laying but we think so.

We have a second group consisting of a 19-20 week old (possible Welsummer, not sure on that), 17-18 week old RIR, and a 16 week old red sex-link...no eggs from these girls yet.

And to answer someone's question earlier in the thread, all of ours who are laying have done the squat thing first. We feed a homemade blend of whole grains, seeds, and lentils formulated to about 17% protein and with oyster shell mixed in for calcium.

Last edited:
I'm stilllllll waaaaiiitttiinnggg.....

I have two Golden Comets...one with a decent size comb & waddle, not super red, that is doing some serious squatting. She comes running when she see's me. Her sister doesn't have much comb/waddle to speak of but she is doing the squat thing big time now too. This has been going on for a week now. Plus both of those girls have been getting into one of the nest boxes and rearranging it to their liking. So cute, but now I want the eggs!
fl.gif

how long typically after you've all noticed the squat did you start to find eggs? My girls are now 19 weeks old btw.

I"m in the waiting game too. I have one EE hen who's 18.5 weeks, a 17 week red star and 2 more 16/17 week EE's. I'm thinking the first two should be laying within a week or two. I have 4 youngins who won't be laying for awhile yet though.

Back
Top Bottom