When to expect eggs?

I have 19 hens and 1 rooster, all 16-20 weeks old. One has been laying consistently for about ten days, the rest nothing? At least we think it's the same one. We see her nesting, then poof there's an egg. We've been looking under bushes and stuff to see if we're missing any, but nothing we can find.

We need to thin out the crowd due to lack of space, sad day...but we'll be grateful for the meal.

duckidaho- we just finished this task today. I was very sad but its nice to have the meat and to know that the girls that are left are the family now.

Ugh. I just want a couple fresh eggs fried in bacon grease.
smile.png
Yes, I am fat, and may die young of heart disease! My grandpa ate eggs fried in grease most of his life, and lived to see 93. of course he worked hard for a living and I sit behind a desk.

caf.gif

Anyway, going on 17 weeks this weekend...nothing from my 6 RIRs. How do you know they are squatting? Does that mean they are sitting in a nest and look like they are "practicing?" I have not heard of that. I am going to make some adjustments to their laying boxes and put them back in the coop this weekend. Not that it'll make a difference. When they are ready, they are ready. If they never get ready, I am going to have a lot of fried RIR.

Jason

I just had two fresh eggs fried in bacon grease from my only hen that is laying. She, of course, is not laying in the nest box, but at least she lays in the same corner of the henhouse.
smile.png

We have 9 hens, 4 black sex-link and 5 red sex-link. The black sex-link started laying at 14 wks 6 days. The red sex-link at 15 wks 2 days. One black sex-link has been laying a perfectly shaped egg (but double yolk) daily, the others have laid a variety of thin shelled, soft shelled, shell-less and even one which had a membrane on the outside, the egg white, then inside the egg white, a perfectly formed, shelled egg!

Does "layer feed" have the right amount of calcium? The label says 3%. I also have oyster shell out free feed, but they don't seem to be eating it. Then again, only one is laying.

Our group of ladies are 20 weeks and 1 day old today. I have been running out to the coop 4 times a day for the past two weeks and have found nothing!! We have red wattles, red combs, compliant "relations" with the rooster instead of the "get off me" squawking there has been. *Sigh* I hope it will be soon!!!!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom