When to feed greens to chicks

boulderchickens

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
As a first time chick raiser, I now have 5 two week old chicks - growing like weeds. At what age can I begin to introduce them to chopped up greens and other "scraps"? They love dry rolled oats in addition to their starter/grower regular diet.

I think you're fine to start giving them scraps. I tried strawberries with my girls last night and they wouldn't touch them. They were afraid of them actually knocking over their water to get away from the bowl. They wouldn't touch the hard boiled egg yoke I offered over the weekend either. Great, so much for giving them scraps. LOL!

Sorry, I didn't read the age of your chicks correctly. At two weeks I gave them a worm and they loved it. I also offered lettuce which they were not interest in.

Last edited:
I begin feeding finely chopped greens at one week of age or later. The first day or two they may not eat much, but they'll catch on and start scarfing it up. Only feed what they can clean up in about fifteen minutes or so. I use rolled oats as chick scratch which works well. I don't feed scraps or anything to brooder chicks.

Back
Top Bottom