when to give treats and what is chick grit?

I spent 25 yrs in the Army and retired 18 yrs ago, back then we ate a thing called C-Rations from a can, the most god awfull thing you would ever taste, it can survive nuclear war and still be edible LOL. so I know the what you mean, about Astronaut food. The things with chickens and bear with me here, it is contrary to think they get bored eating the same food over and over, the easiest way to upset an animal system is to keep changing it up, they like and crave a routine, where they know exactly what is what. You will hear often that birds will be as we call off their feed if you do this, they will stop laying for periods if their feed is changed. Treats that are exceptable are fine but keeping their basic feed the same is crucial, except when you change them to layer feed which is normal.

By changing and adding different feeds or treats can also cause, sour crop, impacted crop, problems with laying........ soft shelled eggs, internal laying, inconsistant stool texture, just all sorts of things. All I am saying is they don't get bored with their diets they don't think of it that way, as long as it is of fair quality and fresh they will like that more. If you want better nutrition for them feed a better quality feed.

I custom mix all my own feed, I have several large bin's each with something different in them, like starter, layer, breeder/conditioner, flight and feather, scratch, pellet supplements, and so on. I can mix each bucket of feed for each pen to suit their needs at the time, but you have to be consistant, you can change it but it must be done gradualy and over time, certainly not often or all at once, it just messes them up.

Somewhere on here is a thread or even a sticky with acceptable treats and amounts. There are more problems with chicks,tweens, and full grown birds from miss feeding than any other problems. so just go easy and don't try and be a poultry Wolfgang Puck.

Back
Top Bottom