When to help? When to worry?

GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!!
Our first duck egg yesterday:-D I'm soooo eggxited!!
None of the girls stayed in the pen with it though yesterday:-(
And no more this morning? What should I be doing with it?

Nobody sat on it all day yesterday or today but.
Wouldn't it be dead if there's a duckling in there?
Plus I gave it a good shake this morning because it was so heavy. I mean it feels completely solid. No fluid in there.

Nobody sat on it all day yesterday or today but.
Wouldn't it be dead if there's a duckling in there?
Plus I gave it a good shake this morning because it was so heavy. I mean it feels completely solid. No fluid in there.
No it wouldn't be dead it hasn't started processing to be anything. You see when you go to incubate eggs you collect them first. I usually collect mine up to 10 days, you collect as many as you can and store them In an egg carton with the big end up. Once you've collected all the eggs you want then u put them in your incubator at one time so they all hatch at the same time.

But since you shook it, chances are you did some damage inside and it probably wouldn't do anything. I don't quite understand why the shake.

If you don't want more babies then your
best bet is to just put them in the frigde and eat them later they are just as good as a chicken egg if not better.

Oh. That does make sense.
I didn't realise they weren't already formed and ready to grow and hatch as soon as they're laid?
I shook it gently near my ear to see if it was solid rather than fluidy because it wieghed easily three times that of a chook egg and I thought maybe that meant it was a dud?
I do want babies but to be honest I really thought it was a dud chook egg:-(

Oh. That does make sense.
I didn't realise they weren't already formed and ready to grow and hatch as soon as they're laid?
I shook it gently near my ear to see if it was solid rather than fluidy because it wieghed easily three times that of a chook egg and I thought maybe that meant it was a dud?
I do want babies but to be honest I really thought it was a dud chook egg:-(
Best eat the one you shook it's scrambled in the shell now.

And just out of curiosity, if I do venture down the incubator path will the ducklings that hatch be sterile? Or is that just a rumour I heard.
STERILE? lol, Yes, that's a rumor... That's the whole idea as to why we incubator, so that we can have more babies. Incubator doesn't stop that, it's purpose it to continue the generations. LOL

I was told farmed (for egg production) chickens were sterile if they were not hatched naturally. I didn't think to question this because not wanting half formed baby chickens in supermarket eggs seemed legitimate to me.
Oh I feel very gullible right now:-(

Back
Top Bottom