farmerkale

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2019
Central New Jersey
Hello everyone! We have 12 mixed chicks (all females) ranging from 5-6 weeks that we currently have inside while we build our coop. Their container has a layer of pine shaving bedding on the bottom and they seem to love to sit in it, scoot their butt around, and flap their wings. They've done this a few times (not many) when we had a large container of food as well before we changed containers. They are all healthy girls, no abnormal behavior besides this!

This seems like they want to dust bath but we feel like they're too young for it. When is the correct time to give them proper dusting material??

My Pullets make their own dust bath in their pens. I put both of my Flocks outside around 5 weeks old.
They dust bathe to control mites, lice, and keep their feathers clean.
I agree with Mary, no dust bathing in your house. They really make a dust cloud outside. 20190429_165808.jpg . GC

My current batch of chicks started trying to dust bathe in their brooder at a week old. I brought them in a small box of dirt and they love to flop around in it, they're 3 1/2 weeks old now. It also gives them something to scratch around in and keeps them busy.

My current batch of chicks started trying to dust bathe in their brooder at a week old. I brought them in a small box of dirt and they love to flop around in it, they're 3 1/2 weeks old now. It also gives them something to scratch around in and keeps them busy.

We gave them a different kind of bedding so hopefully that will entertain them for a while. They are a messy bunch of ladies so I'm worried about the dust mess that will come with a proper dust bath!

Birds should be allowed to dust from just a few days ,I always bring a small few scoops of dirt in s container for chicks to dust in,their never too young.
Their going to make wherever quartets their being kept in dusty regardless.

Back
Top Bottom