When to introduce chicks to established hens

Hello and welcome to BYC!

I start introductions at 7-12ish weeks. I free range them together so everyone is on neutral ground and the little chicks can run away from the big chickens if they get picked on. I permanently let them live together at 14-6 weeks old. You may not have the option to free range so you may need to do it a different way. A common method is the "see but don't touch method". This is where everyone can see each other but are in separate spaces.

It'll take a few days for everyone to be fully settled. You may notice them squabbling but it is perfectly normal. They have to establish the pecking order which may involve the big hens pecking and chasing the younger ones or staring contests. You still have a few more weeks to go so best of luck!

Last edited:
I do it much earlier. Mine were hatched April 3rd, and I plan to have them in with the main flock by the week-end. I train mine to sleep in a small dog crate. Tonight, they put themselves to bed in it. And I use a safety zone, where the chicks can escape to, and the big girls can't follow.

They went out yesterday into a separate run for 4-5 hours 60'sh degrees. Today they were out all day, and although windy, it was pretty warm. They are sleeping in the coop in their dog crate tonight for the first time.

Mrs K

I also integrate a lot earlier (my aim is to have chicks living side by side with adults by 4 weeks) however you need to set up for that. Early integration has to be done by around 8 weeks or so, past that you lose the option of being able to do chick safety doors.

Any photos of your set up? Regardless if you integrate early or later on, you'd still benefit from extra space, plenty of clutter/hiding spots, and multiple feeders/waterers spread around the area to diffuse food aggression.

We have 8 week old chicks at the moment. We have the brooder in the barn with its own pop door into the run. At around 2 weeks old we put a potable fence around the pop door, giving the chicks some space, and we cover this portable fence to keep out the adults. We allow this “see-no-touch” period to go in for approx 3 weeks. Then we raise up the portable fence to allow chicks in/out access, but it is too low for the hens -this way the chicks can explore, but get away from the adults. We then aim to get them into the coop by around 8 weeks.

Some batches of chicks get very very harassed by some of the hens. Where the hens practically hunt and stalk them. The only help there is the fact that the chicks form their own little flock separate from the hens and tend to move as a group. We did put up several roosts in the run for this very reason, it helps the chicks get away from the adults.

Then, there are near perfect integrations, like the one we just experienced. We happened to sell half our flock just before allowing integration by raising up the fence. The remaining 8 chickens (including 1 rooster) weren’t too hard on the chicks…of course some reprimands, a little chasing, but not excessive. After 1 week or so, we started to put them in the coop at night. Only took about 3 nights for them all to go in on their own at night and they immediately started to sleep on the roosts!!

So, each batch will vary. Start with see-no-touch. Good luck!

I have always used a broody hen and the see no touch method. I begin introducing the Mom and chicks to the adults, with my supervision. Of course, Mom is there to help protect any chick that is getting bullied. I don't use a time frame for when everyone is living together. It depends on when the chicks seem to be able to hold their own with adults. They stay close to Mom, even when roosting for a while and then they all just seem to be one flock. Good luck to you and. :frow Welcome from New Orleans.

@bodysouls, you've received great info so far. Everything I learned about integrating chicks I learned here on BYC.

A couple of things from my own experience (that might have been mentioned already):

Don't be surprised if the "bottom of the pecking order" hen in your original flock turns into "the mean girl" to the newbies. She finally has someone lower than herself to pick on/boss around.

I have "chickie snack time" for the chickens in the afternoon. (Their "snack" is their regular food wetted into a mash, so I'm not shorting them on nutrition. They love it!) I would put spoonsful of it on both sides of the fence separating the littles from the big girls. To start with, it was about 6" away from the fence so that the big girls couldn't reach the littles through the fence, but I slowly moved it closer. There was some pecking through the fence, mostly from "the mean girl," but it got a little less as the days went on. This is to get them used to eating together.

Where are you located? You can put that in your profile, and then people won't have to ask. Climate really matters when it comes to chicken care. What works for me in Michigan doesn't work in Florida, for example.

And, Welcome to BYC!

That ^^^ is a great article on how to do early and easy integration. We tried this two years ago and it worked well. We have chicks 12 days old already in the brooder in the run. The chick doors get opened in a few weeks. That will be at the 4 weeks age. Here is an article we did two years ago. It shows one picture where the "chicks" moved themselves into the coop. They took a few weeks inside the coop before they moved themselves up to the roost.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/brooder-in-covered-run-updated-7-11-six-weeks.75584/

Good luck

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you?

Climate matters, so if you put your location into your profile people can give better targeted advice.

Here are some useful articles on integration:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/

I too found that feeding on the fenceline helped by getting them used to sharing food. Be sure to set up multiple feeders and waterers in places that are out of sight from each other so that the bullies can't prevent them from eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom