When to introduce nesting boxes?

Dani & Mikey

Songster
Mar 12, 2018
Hartwood, Virginia
When should I offer my girls nesting boxes? I have them blocked off for now until they learn to sleep on the roosts and not on the floor of the coop. Is that right? I don’t want to put them in too early but don’t want to be too late either! They are 8 weeks old now.

When should I offer my girls nesting boxes? I have them blocked off for now until they learn to sleep on the roosts and not on the floor of the coop. Is that right? I don’t want to put them in too early but don’t want to be too late either! They are 8 weeks old now.
do they sleep on the roosts? If they do then open the boxes. Don’t force them in. Let them figure it out. If they still sleep on the ground then give it time

do they sleep on the roosts? If they do then open the boxes. Don’t force them in. Let them figure it out. If they still sleep on the ground then give it time
Cool! Thanks. They are working on sleeping on the roosts. Almost there but I still find them in their chicken ball on the floor sometimes. I’ll give them some more time.
Thanks!

I gave mine access to the next box once they were closer to point of lay, when their combs started turning noticeably redder. Depending on breed it'll be at least another 8 weeks out, maybe double that.
Cool! Thank you for the advice. I figured it would be a while. I like the redder comb tip. Something to look for. Thanks!

I put in the nest boxes the day before the first girl laid, at 16 1/2 weeks.
Yeah I'm a procrastinator.
She was scratching around on the coop floor, her comb was red and she was squatting when I put my hand over her.
She was gonna lay on floor of coop the next day. I picked her up and put her in the nest. 35 minutes later she came out and I found a beautiful brown egg. 20160730_134940.jpg . The white egg is ceramic.
I would open/install the nest boxes at 15 weeks with fake eggs, so they can climb in and investigate the nests. GC

I put in the nest boxes the day before the first girl laid, at 16 1/2 weeks.
Yeah I'm a procrastinator.
She was scratching around on the coop floor, her comb was red and she was squatting when I put my hand over her.
She was gonna lay on floor of coop the next day. I picked her up and put her in the nest. 35 minutes later she came out and I found a beautiful brown egg.View attachment 1362791. The white egg is ceramic.
I would open/install the nest boxes at 15 weeks with fake eggs, so they can climb in and investigate the nests. GC
Wow! You timed that just right! Thank you so much! It’s good to have a week number to be looking toward and the physical signs too.

You've gotten some good advice above.
Here's some more 'onset of lay' tips:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

I'll also add that I hope your roosts are higher than your nests,
they like to sleep as high as possible(once they are older).
I have adult birds along with the annual chick population so rigged a cover for the nests.
I close it off an hour before roost time, then flip it back open when I lock up after dark.
It saves having to drag them out of the nest after dark, which can get old fast.

Back
Top Bottom