When to move babies out to coop.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Oct 19, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    We have a brand new coop for my cornish x and bantams that are coming in 2 days. But it's too far away to run electricity to.

Bf wants them out of the house as soon as possible.

The weather has been

Average low; 50
    Average high; 75
    And a little rainy.

Sooo, when should I move them out? 2 weeks, 3, 4?

2. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I think it depends on;

1) how old are they
    2) how cold it'll be there in 4 weeks.
    3) how many chickens you'll have (so they can keep each other warm in the coop)

If they are only a couple days old when you get them in 2 days... then you'll have to wait and keep them at the appropriate temps with a heat lamp;
    95 1st week
    90 2nd week
    85 3rd week
    80 4th week
    75 5th week
    70 6th week

(some start at 90, so you'll be ready sooner, but you have to watch their behavior to see what temp they need)

But don't worry, once your Bf see's how cute they are, he'll want to keep them safe and warm.

3. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    they have to be fully feathered

4. Quesse

Quesse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:Does that include the face too? I'm actually in San Diego too and I have a couple 5 week olds that I'd like to move into the coop.

I have two Wyandottes that pretty much have all their feathers except for the top of their head and face. The only issue is that it's been rainy and drizzly here the last few days and I think that's brought down the temperature down outside.

5. someplumbcoop

someplumbcoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    My austrolorps are 4 weeks old. it gets down to the mid to lower 40's around here. I was wondering if it is ok to put out my chicks now?

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    There will be 8-12 of them.

Also I heard Cornish x don't need as high of a temperature, is this true?

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    What about in an unheated garage. If I put them in there at 4 weeks should I keep the heat lamp on them for awhile?

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chickens do not have to be brooded in the house at all. All that is necessary for brooding them is a draft-free space, that is predator proof and can be kept to the temp. necessary per their age; following the guideline of (So you don't have to take my word for it, this is cut and pasted directly from Ideal Poultry's website, care tips):

Proper temperature at bird level under the brooder or heat lamp for the first week is 90 to 95 degrees. Reduce the temperature 5 degrees each week for the first five weeks. After that time the poultry will normally not require supplementary heat.

No matter where you choose to brood them, be sure and hang your heat lamp in at least two ways, example: by a chain and zip-tied.

I don't brood chicks in the house. I will never brood chicks in the house. I've yet to lose a chick, except one lost due to shipping stress.

9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What Gritsar said, definitely. They certainly don't have to be in the house, but they do have to be warm and safe. Maybe you can figure out some way to do this.

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Only problem is there is no electricity in the coop, so I have to do the house for at least a couple weeks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by