When to move babies out to coop.

Quote:
Same here. I can't really build an outdoor brooder that's predator proof and unobtrusive. I've just kept the babies in the garage until they were old enough to go out. It was summer too when I had the chicks so it wasn't too hard.

Man, it's been pouring here in San Diego!

Quote:
Does that include the face too? I'm actually in San Diego too and I have a couple 5 week olds that I'd like to move into the coop.

I have two Wyandottes that pretty much have all their feathers except for the top of their head and face. The only issue is that it's been rainy and drizzly here the last few days and I think that's brought down the temperature down outside.

i wouldn't do it unless you had a way to make sure they stay dry.
they should be good down to 70 degree's ... maybe 65.

I'm in a similar situation - I have six three-week-old Buff Orpingtons, and it's between the 50's and 70's in temps here in west TN. We just got them this past Saturday and we're BRAND NEW to chickens. Without a garage, these new babies are staying in the kitchen, without a heat lamp, and are doing great so far (the lady we got them from said house temperatures would be okay for them now). I'm wondering about "tempering" them (for lack of a better word!
smile.png
) before they go outside permanently. Can they go out for a few hours a day when it's warm? How old are they typically when they DO go out permanently? Also, is there a temperature at which they'd need to come in for the night, even once they're grown?

I'm so new to this - could someone please post a link to a heat lamp that would be appropriate for their coop? I don't even know what I'm looking for!
smile.png
How do you know when they need it and don't - is there a certain temperature you watch for? Thanks so much for any advice!
smile.png

Quote:
getting them acclimated ...

yes they can go out a few hours a day when it is warm ... preferably sunny ... my daughter calls it "taking them on a field trip"

they can usually go out permanently when they are fully feathered (6-8 weeks old) ... since i live in Texas and usually get mine in spring time and it is 80-90 degree's in may .. i put them out at 4 weeks.

with 6 of them - buff orpingtons have a good tolerance for cold ... i wouldn't think you would need to bring them in unless it drops below freezing --- it rarely drops below freezing where i am at and i have never had to bring them inside (one night it dropped down to 25 and i did not have any casualties) ... it is good to give them food that will help them during cold weather ... i give mine chicken scratch during cold winter months ..... chickens also eat more when it is cold outside

pretty much any kind of lamp will work with a heat bulb in it

heat lamp
http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CG8Q8wIwAA#

Quote:
i am sure you will do fine ... doing the research is a key part to getting started ... after you understand the basics, the rest is easy.

let me know if you have any more questions, and i will share what i know

Quote:
Got a screened porch? This is my brooder, we brood them in it on the screened porch until they are ready for the coop - or rather, the coop is ready for them:

4810_p4090017.jpg

OMgosh that is such a cute set up!!! Wow everything looks perfect!

Unfortunately I don't have a screened in porch, really the house is all we have.

And the coop is a few hundred feet away from electricity so bf said it was too far to run an extension cord.

All I know is I had my layers in the house till 8 weeks and it was FAR FAR FAR too long! lol

Back
Top Bottom