When to move babies out to coop.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
We have a brand new coop for my cornish x and bantams that are coming in 2 days. But it's too far away to run electricity to.

Bf wants them out of the house as soon as possible.

The weather has been

Average low; 50
Average high; 75
And a little rainy.

Sooo, when should I move them out? 2 weeks, 3, 4?

I think it depends on;

1) how old are they
2) how cold it'll be there in 4 weeks.
3) how many chickens you'll have (so they can keep each other warm in the coop)

If they are only a couple days old when you get them in 2 days... then you'll have to wait and keep them at the appropriate temps with a heat lamp;
95 1st week
90 2nd week
85 3rd week
80 4th week
75 5th week
70 6th week

(some start at 90, so you'll be ready sooner, but you have to watch their behavior to see what temp they need)

But don't worry, once your Bf see's how cute they are, he'll want to keep them safe and warm.

Quote:
Does that include the face too? I'm actually in San Diego too and I have a couple 5 week olds that I'd like to move into the coop.

I have two Wyandottes that pretty much have all their feathers except for the top of their head and face. The only issue is that it's been rainy and drizzly here the last few days and I think that's brought down the temperature down outside.

Chickens do not have to be brooded in the house at all. All that is necessary for brooding them is a draft-free space, that is predator proof and can be kept to the temp. necessary per their age; following the guideline of (So you don't have to take my word for it, this is cut and pasted directly from Ideal Poultry's website, care tips):

Proper temperature at bird level under the brooder or heat lamp for the first week is 90 to 95 degrees. Reduce the temperature 5 degrees each week for the first five weeks. After that time the poultry will normally not require supplementary heat.

No matter where you choose to brood them, be sure and hang your heat lamp in at least two ways, example: by a chain and zip-tied.

I don't brood chicks in the house. I will never brood chicks in the house. I've yet to lose a chick, except one lost due to shipping stress.

What Gritsar said, definitely. They certainly don't have to be in the house, but they do have to be warm and safe. Maybe you can figure out some way to do this.

Back
Top Bottom