Jbugner23

Chirping
May 7, 2019
Hi all,

I am wondering what age we can move our chicks to the coop. I have seen so many different articles on when to actually let them in the coop outside.
We have 14 Easter Egger Hens and they are currently 2 weeks and 2 days. We are starting to build the coop, now that we finally have nice weather. We are turning an old tac room into the coop. Its walls, ceiling and floor are all boarded up with plywood so there is no chance of predators getting in and it insulates it a little bit. We'll be adding in ventilation at the top of the room and will be using pine shavings as bedding. We will also have a run for them to go outside to an area that will be fenced so no predators can get in hopefully.
We live in northern Minnesota so it still hasn't fully warmed up outside and the nights are still around 41F. We were hoping to be able to move the chicks to the coop around week 4 but the nights here will still most likely be around 40-45F. Days are around 50-65F.
We are planning to get more chicks (Wyandottes) on June 6th so we were hoping we could use the brooder the EE are in now and move them into their coop. But we are a little worried about the nights being too cold for them? They have already started to grow a lot of feathers and have tripled in size since we got them.
Suggestions? Tips? Will it be too cold for them at night?

Last edited:
Once they have almost all of their feathers they will be good outside. The time it takes for that varies, but i would think that at 4 weeks they will be fine. Also, it says you are expecting chicks on may 6? is this accurate? it is now the 16th

Once they have almost all of their feathers they will be good outside. The time it takes for that varies, but i would think that at 4 weeks they will be fine. Also, it says you are expecting chicks on may 6? is this accurate? it is now the 16th
Wow! I meant June 6th, thank you for catching that mistake!!
also, it does look like they should have all their feathers by then, the amount they have now in just 2 weeks is astonishing! They are growing fast.

You can make them a "nest" so they have the opportunity to be warm at night. An upturned box with one side cut out, some clothing hung to create a den underneath, anything resembling a cave for them to cuddle into. When they're 14, they create a lot of body heat, and making a small, cozy space will help them utilize that.

You can make them a "nest" so they have the opportunity to be warm at night. An upturned box with one side cut out, some clothing hung to create a den underneath, anything resembling a cave for them to cuddle into. When they're 14, they create a lot of body heat, and making a small, cozy space will help them utilize that.
Awesome! Thank you, they would probably like that. They love cuddling up with each other now at night too.

Back
Top Bottom