When to process Dual purpose birds?

Then fry 'em when they hit 2lbs.
woot.gif

I am new to raising chickens, and this year only got a few layers for the eggs. I bought what I thought were 6 female EEs, but 2 ended up being roosters. One got extremely aggressive, and after segregation failed to improve his nature and he showed no signs of stopping his attacks on me, he was processed. At the time, he was 7 months old. I kept him chilled for 3 days then thought I would roast him (I had not yet delved into the details of meat birds; the article linked a few posts back is very interesting!); of course, while his flavor was very good, he was very tough - especially the dark meat.

Anyway, I want to venture into getting some meat birds next spring, but I'm not looking to do this on a big scale...not even a medium scale. I want a few meat birds for the family's use, but lack a lot of extra freezer space to justify getting too many meat birds. I wanted to look into dual-purpose, but I'm not sure I'm seeing where I can keep them around that much longer, depending on how I want to cook the bird in the end.

I am interested in hearing what others are doing with their dual-purpose birds, or separate breeds in terms of how many meat birds you get at a time and how often you process.

Would I be correct, too, in assuming that, of the dual-purpose breeds, the ones you have for laying don't end up on the dinner table at all?

Thanks for your help!

Hello Nancie35us!

Sorry your question didn't get answered sooner - I just noticed it today.

I believe that the term dual purpose, from a heritage bird standpoint, means the hens are decent layers, not Leghorns or ISA Browns mind you, but still worth their feed, with enough meat on the carcass to make a fine stew or pot of chicken and dumplings when their laying days are waning. I know some folks get attached to their layers when they've been around two or three years, but to me dumplings make a grand retirement party.

I also think we fall into the trap of 'I can cook how I want' , instead of 'I will cook what I have' - after being conditioned by the bland sameness of supermarket chicken. The ALBC article I mentioned a few posts back really delves into the hows and whys of the stages of a heritage grown bird. And if you look at the old recipes by Julia Child, you can see how it's so. The 'very good' flavor you mentioned is what you want, - the toughness is the result of an improperly prepared bird.
And remember, the preparation of the bird is not just the application of heat, but includes the method of finishing the bird and processing, and the amount of time and treatment between processing and cooking.

So from spatchcocking a hatch of 2lb cockerels, to coq au vin with a venerable 6 year old rooster and everything in between, enjoy what you have, as you have it.
And remember - toothsome is not the same as tough!

ps - pressure canning is a great option if you are shy on freezer space... My wife calls it Halloween meat, because she thinks it's gross in the glass jars, but you cannot beat it for quick recipes and casseroles, and the stock is awesome.

Last edited:
Thanks MaggiesDad. I saw that link about what age a bird is to be a "fryer" versus a "broiler" versus a "roaster" - great information! I guess I'm looking for a bit more on what breeds folks are using for just meat birds, as well as what breeds folks are using as dual purpose.

What's the oldest chicken you've thrown in the crock pot/had with dumplings?

Thanks MaggiesDad. I saw that link about what age a bird is to be a "fryer" versus a "broiler" versus a "roaster" - great information! I guess I'm looking for a bit more on what breeds folks are using for just meat birds, as well as what breeds folks are using as dual purpose.

What's the oldest chicken you've thrown in the crock pot/had with dumplings?
welcome-byc.gif
I haven't done it myself but I've heard a 3 year old hen.

I've had a 4yo Australorp rooster. He spent the better part of 8 hours in the mini spa crock pot, and was just divine. The leg and thighs were dark as venison.

Processing him was a trip compared to 16-18 week old cockerels - it was like he was put together with rubberbands and baling wire.
smile.png

Here's another fun read that made my mouth water, and my eyes started watering, too, at the end. That's the kind of appreciation for things I hope to cultivate in my kids.

If you want 'just meat birds' grow out some CX chicks. If you want meatier than avg heritage, get some quality white dorkings or white rocks. We've eaten Basque, Bresse, Marans, Austalorps, Barred Rocks here, even Silkies and Sebrights. Maggie got spurred by a nasty little Sebright rooster, and demanded his carcass in a bowl of soup. We worked up two of them into chicken noodle soup, and I was surprised at how much breast meat they had.
She called it her Sebright Delight!

They are all chickens, and they all taste just like chicken... nobody will mistake it for beef or lamb, lol. Get the birds you like to look at and be around, and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom